1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Markbass Micromark combo with Double Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by MarkH, Oct 23, 2006.

1. MarkH

MarkH

Apr 12, 2003
    U.K.
    Hi there,

Wondering about one of these for rehearsals/quiet gigs, where my usual setup of separate head and cab is overkill.

Has anyone had any experience of them?

Thanks.

2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    really nobody?

3. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    scroll up. in the second blue bar that runs across your screen you will find a search option on the right hand side between "new posts" and "quick links". type in whatever you're searching for.

now, when you get the results, you will be able to select the results you want to view based on the forum under which the post was originally generated. this way, you can get opinions specifically from DBs that have used the markbass combo.

good luck!

4. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    dear adbass

thanks for your advice.

i did this before bumping this thread.

i got no satisfying results.

then i decided to bump this thread which i found on my search.

ok?

EDIT: i did search also in the BG forum.
    and to be specific: i´m am looking for info about the micromark, not markbass-combos in general

5. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    I haven't used the Microbass combo. The best reference i can provide is that a DB-playing friend of mine, who plays in a bluegrass band, recommends the 1001RB-II 2x10 combo. It's more than enough power to make yourself heard, in a compact package (it even has built-in casters and a collapsible handle). The high-travel Paragon drivers can handle extreme bass (like that from a DB mic or piezo), but the overall tuning doesn't lead to excessive boominess. He really likes it.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    These aren't out in the US yet, which might explain the dearth of responses here.

That said, I used to use a cheap Peavey Microbass (20W, 8" speaker, passive EQ) with my Eminence EUB. If you turned all of the controls to maximum, it sounded surprisingly good and could be heard in rehearsals with other acoustic instruments or quiet restaurant gigs. However, the volume really wasn't more than you could get out of a decent, non-EUB upright.

I can't imagine the Micromark (50W, 6" speaker) has much on the Peavey. It's also the most expensive practice amp I've seen. So, unless Markbass have pulled off a miracle, I wouldn't expect it to add that much volume to an upright bass.

The MINImark, on the other hand...

7. macmrkt

macmrkt Inactive

Dec 4, 2002
    I had one and sold it to another talkbass member who may chime in. IMHO it's very much a low volume practice amp. That's it. Nice tone, but no miracles.

8. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    thanks, macmrkt.
    i would like to use it for a band with sax/violin/cello/piano/bass in background situations to bring the bass to sax-volume-level.
    do you think the micromark could do this?

9. macmrkt

macmrkt Inactive

Dec 4, 2002
    Not totally sure, but if I had to guess, I'd say no. The Wizzy10/Micro300 and Phil Jones Flightcase are my choices.

10. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    IF looking for a small practice amp check out the SWR Workingman 10". Good basic amp and can usually get good deals on SWR or find used.

11. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    macmrkt, thank you.
    seems i have to wait till the micro300 appears at german dealers.

12. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
    too big :ninja:, i liked the idea of a 8,6""x8,6"x8,6"; 9,2 lbs combo:)

i played some rehearsals with a genelec activmonitor (the model before the 8020A http://www.genelecusa.com/products/2-way-monitors/8020a/ )that had this size, it was loud enough, but i had to use a preamp

13. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    I use the Mark Bass AC101 amp, designed for acsoutic instruments, with two channels (good for double bass - mic and pickup or whatever), super light, super loud, sounds FANTASIC!

14. beertjewolf

beertjewolf

Aug 18, 2007
    The loudspeaker in the MarkBass isn't really bass-proof. To much cone break-up when playing loud. Try the Hevos Midget 12" combo, but it is not easy to find one in a regular shop!

15. macmrkt

macmrkt Inactive

Dec 4, 2002
    I agree with this for DB. I wanted to try the AC601, which is the same speaker as the Micromark, but a bigger box and amp. This might do the trick but I never heard one. On the downside...its the same price as the AC101 which I'm sure is more capable, albeit larger and heavier.

16. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    the AC101 is still very light and portable indeed, dont let it put you off by being slightly larger - its much more flexible!

17. RMacBass

RMacBass Bass Commander

Jun 2, 2003
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    I have a Micromark, and I'm very happy with it. I haven't used it often with drums, but with a hi-pass filter, it's very good for use with upright bass. It's output is unbelievable, given its small size. I think it's perfect for gigging and rehearsals in medium-sized rooms. I've used it successfully with acoustic-type groups (2 acoustic guitars, upright bass, drums, and 3 vocalists), a 5-piece acoustic jazz group with horns, jazz duo with guitar, and for several trio and duo jam sessions.

It also really shines with electric bass. I played Led Zeppelin's 'Rock and Roll' with a wicked drummer and guitarist in a very small room on a crappy precision copy and the Micromark sounded fat and warm. The drummer broke his snare drum head.. ;) I've also played my Warwick and a friend's Dingwall through it at a rehearsal and both sounded impressively good.

I posted a little review with a picture of the Micromark in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5139868&postcount=15

18. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    If you can lay your hands on one in Germany, check out a Mark Bass LMII with an EA 10" Wizzy. I've used these with great success for both gigs and practice. The whole thing together weighs right around 20lbs.

19. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    RMacBass

In your review you state that the Micromark requires the HPF/pre. Is it the case that the Micromark input doesn't align well with your pickup impedance or that the HPF is needed to remove the boom?

20. RMacBass

RMacBass Bass Commander

Jun 2, 2003
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    kwd, for upright bass only, I find that using a high-pass filter with the MicroMark helps eliminate feedback and boominess, and to tighten up the sound. It's a bit of a compromise with tone any time you roll off the low end, and I think circumstances would be changed depending on one's setup and pickup. I use a Gage Realist.

I think my pickup sounds better going through the impedance buffer in the HPF-Pre, but I really just use it to reduce the problems I already mentioned.