1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MarkBass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GaryM92009, Feb 26, 2008.

1. GaryM92009

GaryM92009

Dec 9, 2007
    San Diego
    Trying to ask a tone question, on "paper", is, I suppose, like trying to explain a kiss or something. Probably impossible. But maybe someone has at least had my problem. I got a MarkBass 2x10 combo and 4x10 extension cab. Sounded ok at GC but I'v always found hearing an amp's tone at GC is futile. I play a MusicMan Stingray 4 string. I just can't get the tone right and I can't place my finger on it. At times it sounds distorted (my gain vs master are ok) other times it just sounds "nasely" ... dull. I hate the VLE/VFF also. It's just not bright - as in alive, not trebley. And I'm only rehersing to mp3 files ... not playing out or loud. In the past I've had Stingrays with SVT and GK. Sounded great! Does MarkBass suck? I heard good reviews. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    It probably isn't for you.

My ears "like" GK, Ampeg, and Mesa. MarkBass just doesn't sound right to me.

3. ROFL!

4. The tone of the cabs seems to be one thing and the tone of the heads seems to be another.

I've owned everything (almost!) and I've never heard any SS head sound better to my ears than the Markbass heads (my tone goal is clean, crisp, plenty of treble, and punchy bass... warm versus 'sterile', but very little grit or dirt.. clean!!!). These heads deliver that as well as any head I've ever experienced at any price. Of course, if you want the grittier, less transparent sound of the SVT type heads (or even GK), then you have probably not made the best choice, since the MB heads are all about clarity, quick, clean, transparent tone.

I've never heard the cabs, but post after post after post from those that have seems to match your experience.... many describe the cabs as 'thick, dark, nasal'... again, never tried them (I have no interest since I'm totally thrilled with my Epi's and Berg's), but there are so many posts similar to yours regarding the cabs, especially the 210 and 410.

5. +1

the cabs really do have their own distinct nasally sound... try the heads with other cabs

6. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Trying to answer a tone question is difficult when one wasn't asked. All you said was "does MarkBass suck?"

There are almost 500 MarkBass threads in the Amp forum already.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389962

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356547

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379002

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

7. +2!

I agree.....for smaller shows I use my Markbass TA501 or SD800 with Epifani UL 112........
    for larger venues & outdoor gigs I use my Genz Benz 1200 w/ Epifani UL410.
    The Markbass TA501 sounds great with the 12's......that old vintage Ampeg sound.
    I didn't care much for the Markbass cabs. Just my opinion.

8. You didn't say which of the 4x10 Cabs you have... the Classic, the front ported, the back ported?
    I play StingRays trough an MarkBass F1 into the MarkBass Standard 104 HR (back ported) cab and am absolutely happy with the sound I get. It cuts through even at low volume levels. I had a SWR Grand Prix / Stereo 800 / Henry 8x8 before and swapped the moment I heard the MarkBass rig.

IMO, the MB cabs sound much more like the original bass tone, whereas other cabs tend to make the bass sound "nice". To get a "nicer" sound out of your MarkBass cab, try dialling in just a bit of the VPF filter which cuts the mids.

9. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    The first thing I would do is change the battery in your Stingray. Although I don't use the combo, I do use an LMII with EA cabs for my Stingray and it sounds awesome.

10. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I had a MarkBass Jeff Berlin Combo which I liked a lot when I played it on its own. When I took it into a band setting it sounded deep and nasally like everyone describes here. I ended up exchanging the combo for an LMII head which I had had previously. The LMII paired with my Schroeder 212 cab is a great punchy little rig that can cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter! I would recommend exchanging your rig for an LMII head and picking up a different cabinet. A lot of people on here like the Bergantino, Epifani and Schroeder cabinets with these heads.

You could also consider an Avatar cabinet if you need to save some money. Low Down Sound also makes some very nice and affordable custom cabinets. Epifani, Bergantino and Schroeder though have a proven track record on here when paired with the LMII.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I recently compared the 210 combo and the 112 combo, albeit at GC. I liked the sound of the 112 a lot better. Markbass cabs are a bit dark sounding, but I like the tone. I just ordered an Epifani PS112 to go under the Markbass, and I think the combination is going to be stellar. We shall see!

12. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOUR MARK BASS. MY LITTLE MARK II SOUNDS GREAT ON MY EPI 112 AND THE EPI 212. I FOUND RUN BOTH EFFECT NOBS AT 12 O CLOCK AND THE VOLUME
    AT 3 OCLOCK AND THE PRE-AMP BETWEEN 9 AND 12 OCLOCK.
    USE THE OTHER NOBS THEY IMPACT BIG ON THE SOUND.

13. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    All CAPS, huh? First day on the internet?

14. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    THANK YOU FOR YELLING THOSE WORDS OF WISDOM AT US.

15. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    sorry guys my wife just told me the same thing

16. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Both the VLE and VPF knobs at 12 o'clock??? :confused:They are defeating each other's purpose by doing that, but hey, if it sounds good, then it is good. :smug:

17. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    My experience with the MB cab sound is that on its own, it sounds a little dark and nasal, but in the group, it cuts through the mix beautifully. I can finally hear myself, and so can everyone else. There is a great deep low end, plus punch and pitch clarity. I'm using the 102 combo. My previous amp was an original model SWR Workingman's 15. I liked the SWR sound, but I'd never go back. With the band, the MB really shines.

Now I have to practice more, because my flaws and mistakes are better revealed!

18. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I just tried out some markbass stuff at a GC the other day and really wasn't that impressed. They sound alot like the ashdown mag series gear. Maybe it was just the cabs that I didn't like. I really loved how the filter controls work though. It makes using distortion with a tweeterd cab possible without any hassle. The eq was ok but nothing special. I actually liked the mini mark 2x6 combo though, I think the novelty of it would wear off after I got it home. For reference, I use an Ashdown ABM500, Berg NV610 and Eden D210-xlt cabs. My aguilar db680 is on it's way. The mark gear just sounded alittle dry and lifeless to me. I'd like to try it one more time though.

19. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    You might try the MB R500 if you get a chance. I Love mine.