Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marley's bassist ????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Aug 9, 2005.

1. who was he and what did he play ?? i love his tone and his grooves are sick. also any pics?

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Aston "Family Man" Barrett

...feel like I have answered this question somewhere before.

Google for images of him.

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Aston was fantastic. Coupled with his brother - what a fantastic rhythm section. He was money.

4. the_vza1

the_vza1

Jun 15, 2004
    he also had sort of a solo carreer

5. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Check out "Catch A Fire - The Original Jamaican Recording", the second disc on the Deluxe Edition two disc set.

6. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal

Yes I. Check out his album "Familyman In Dub"... Downright killer.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    He mostly played Fender Jazz basses and Acoustic heads. If you like his grooves you should check out:

Lloyd Brevett (gave Familyman his first bass & taught him)
    Robbie Shakespear (Familyman gave HIM his start)
    Earl Flabba Holt (the other heavyweight Jamaican bassplayer)

There are a pile of others, but you could get pretty far with just those four to start.

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sadly, like quite a few good and important reggae players, he was murdered...

These days he playin' with Peter, Jacob, Bob, Dennis, and being mixed by Tubby...

9. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004

This initially confused me. Family Man is still alive, his brother Carlton was murdered - may he rest in peace.

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Sorry..in my mind I had made a comment about Carly...it just never made it to my keyboard...it's been a very long day. :rollno:

It would have been in the vein that Aston's playing has never been as good as when Carlton was with him...

11. theres a couple of live bob marley dvd's out, even though they hardly ever show 'familyman', the shows are killer. the wailers nail the groove.

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, I've checked most of those out...pretty good stuff. I'm very much partial to 73 tour shows and 75-76 era shows...I find that 77-80 is too much of a much and I prefer the stripped down quicker earlier stuff.

13. screwball

screwball

Jul 25, 2004
    Manchester UK
    The Catch A Fire video/DVD is well worth watching. It's really interesting to see how such an influential album was put together.

14. Amazing player. Locking into the groove and laying it down. They called him 'Familyman' because he had many illegitimate children while touring (alledgedly).

15. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal

I believed they called him familyman because he was the 'father' figure to all the band mates. According to familyman he was/is the musical director of the wailers.