Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marshall Guv'nor Plus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Secondhandloser, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Just wanting opinions. -Or suggestions. I'm looking for a distortion pedal that either retains the low end, or has a blend, preferably one that has a very transparent bypass....

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've heard many mixed reviews about this pedal. I have the original Guv'nor, and it's awesome. It retains the low end real well. It gets a really buzzsaw like distortion. It's not mellow AT ALL.

This one's $20, and it looks like it's in better shape than mine! :eyebrow:

3. the original Guv'nor, or the GV-2?

4. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    GV2+

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Digi Tech Bass Driver does a very good job of keeping the low end intact.

It doesn't have true bypass.

6. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    You can't knock it for the price.

7. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I really like mine. Gave me the sound I wanted. A nice gnarled tube overdrive. However, the bypass is pretty bad. So I'm going to end up making a looper for it.

8. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I can vouch for the Original Guv'Nor with Petary791, it's got great tone, no low end loss, you can usually find them on eBay going for not THAT much, AND they have decent bypass (not sure if it's true bypass...)

9. Hey! I'm high bidder on that one right now! Stay away! :ninja:

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It is true bypass! WEEEEEEEEEE.

Woops, want me to delete that link for ya?

11. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

13. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK

plug your guitar into the output, and ur amp in the input, turn it on if you get a clean signal, its truebypass, if it just mutes its passive bypass. i dont kno wat it is but it similar no loss in tone.

14. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Just stomped over this thread where some of you says that the Guv'Nor Original dont really cut away the bottom of the bass sound.

My question to you is: How?

I play in a band with 2 heavy distorted guitars and turned my Bass knop on guvnor all the way up to 10 and still, when I knock it on my bass seems to drown totally in the distortion-sound of the two guitars.

Maybe a preamp(Sadowsky) with bass-boost will help me a tad in this case?

Thanks!

15. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    The Pedal in itself doesn't lose bass. Obviously playing with 2 very heavily distorted guitars is gonna drown you a little bit. Nows the time to start crankin up the mids.