1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marshall MB450H, modern channel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Waspinators, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    I've been interested in the Marshall MB450H for a while, and one of the things I liked was the ability to switch between the modern channel and the classic (tube) channel. But lately I've been hearing that the modern channel is pretty much useless and impossible to find a good tone with. Is this true? Do any MB450H users actually like the modern channel (on its own)? Thanks.

2. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Anyone?

3. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    maybe PM TomOnceDead he has one and i think he likes it. so does KissMyBass

4. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    hi ,yes i do love the modern channel but i use a bass driver,behringer bdi ,sansamp clone with a ricky 4003 n you get the classic overdriven ricky sound.everything at 12 o clock,drive and presence at 3 o clock,blend on max.channel appears to work best if using fx units .it works well with a mm as well but different settings on the driver though.the classic channel is a good un as well as long as the preamp valve is healthy.

5. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Do you think the modern channel sounds good without the bass driver?

6. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    very short n sweet answer,no not for me it could do with more development work at the source but with a driver it,s awesome,leaves the other channel dead in the water.maybe it has applications for other people but for me driven modern is the way to go.the classic channel is excellent in it,s own right.i,m glad the modern one is voiced as it is cause it does the geddy,bruce ricky thing with loads to spare.

7. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I have a MB450H too, must say the Modern channel sound is just not really "my cup of tea" (putting it nicely).
    Probably because i like the classic tube channel so much.

8. Since purchasing my Pod XT Live, I've been using my Marshall rig as an overall balancer. However, here's my thoughts about using strictly the head and 410 cab:

Think of the Classic channel as your basic hamburger. The Modern channel is like the extras you put on it. Too much ketchup, mustard, and mayo and you'll end up wearing those sauces. Not so good. Same goes with this amp. The Classic channel (bare bones hamburger) sounds good all on its own. However, you want that extra "something" to give it more whatever.

On its own, I find the Modern channel a little too middy for my tastes (even when you add lots of bass). However, when blended with the Classic channel (I run about 7 class - 3 mod) it gives my sound that oh so warm tube sound with a bit of :p
    I would try setting the tube channel the way you like it and then: a) back off all the tone related knobs about 1 - 1 1/2 dots b) set the Modern chanel with all tone controls at 0 or neutral, push blend and centre that as well c) play around with the modern channel's tone knobs and see what you like. Yes, this sounds like lots of (frustrating) work, but don't you think it's worth the effort to find out as much about your rig as possible?:D

Good luck, have fun, and go cook a burger!