Martin abgs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikeoso, May 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Just occurred to me to wonder how many of us have Martins. B1, B40, B65, plus the newer BCPA 4. two_basses.jpg two_basses.jpg

B-Mac likes this.
  2. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I have a B-65 (flame maple back / sides). Acoustically, it's the deepest and best sounding of the many ABG's that I've tried. Electronically and ergonomically it's just ok... especially the neck dive... aesthetics are a bit weird, it's so obviously a jumbo guitar body with a bass neck substituted. Then again, it was made in the 80's and there has been a lot of progress in ABG land since that time.

3. mikeoso

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    B1 is identical, except it has mahogany back and sides. Since I came to bass via acoustic guitars the ergonomics seem fine to me. Have a look at the critter on the left in my pic. 6 deep, 19 wide, 5 long. Most abgs are, I think, more or less guitar bodies with bass necks anyway...just a question of how big. As far as that goes...when that guy made an electric bass he pretty much put a longer neck on an electric guitar.

B-Mac likes this.
  4. 1994 Martin B1 - that I have never changed the strings FH000022 (2).jpg

B-Mac likes this.
  5. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Really surprised more haven't posted their C.F. Martin ABG's here.
    Acquired this on December 2, 2020 Martin B-1E 1993. It's all @mikeoso 's fault :smug:
    IMG_5242.JPEG

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  6. mikeoso

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Happy to take the blame on that.

B-Mac likes this.
  7. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Bump
    Post your Martin ABG's :thumbsup:

8. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Had a Martin B-1 and sold it. Every once in a while I wish I hadn't. It was a player with good tone.

B-Mac likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021