1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mary Poppins musical?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Steve Clark, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have an offer to play Mary Poppins musical.

Has anyone played it? I want to say yes but would like to see the bass part. If it's a mix of electric and double I can probably do just fine but if it's double bass with lots of arco in the cello register I might not be the best choice.

I've done some tougher musical books like Legally Blonde and Mamma Mia.

2. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Musically probably not too daunting I suspect.

Electric or double bass? I'd get with the director and ask his expectations because frankly, if this isn't a paid gig, I'd bring my preferred.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I've played the show. Scottgun is correct, it's not difficult at all. Like most of the shows it will call for acoustic and electric. I played the show all on electric. For many shows the difference is very small between the DB and EB, and a lot of times there is a space consideration that is more important that exactly what the score calls for in instruments. There are other things to consider. IM me if this is the first show you're playing.

Groove Master, Leo Smith and jfh2112 like this.
  4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I've played this show recently, I was prepared to double, but did it all on Double Bass because the MD cut many of the electric bass parts out. It can be done on electric but will sound better on Double Bass played acoustically.

5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks for the replies. I did find a copy of the bass part. It will certainly be a challenge from an arrangement point of view. If I get the gig I've got seven weeks to shed the book before the first rehearsal.