1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mas 16 vs upshot

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lurk, Jan 9, 2019.

1. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm thinking of upgrading and would like advice. I recently bought a tonedexter and love it. I'm thinking of plugging the Dex into either a powered MAS 6, or into a single channel Clarus/Upshot. Both would end up being in the same ballpark in price and weight. I own a couple of combos, but not a separate amp. I'm not interested in playing electric bass through either.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I have the powered MAS 1/8 it’s the “bigger brother” of the 1/6 and it has the ability to project sound with amazing low end response and clarity. I would expect the 1/6 to do the same at lower levels.

doghousebob likes this.
  3. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Volume should be similar. The 16 and the Wizzy 10 go about the same volume. The biggest differences would be tonal balance, note envelope and projection in a room.

4. doghousebob

doghousebob Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Ontario
    I have the powered 1/6 using it with a Felix. It's very impressive for double bass; it's easily covered all the rooms I've played in so far. It has made my db very easy to perceive on stage even with a drummer, and also sounds great in the room. And it's a joy to schlep. I may move up to the 1/8 but only because I do a fair number of electric gigs that call for more volume. Can't go wrong with Mike's speakers.

5. Hasty

Hasty

Jul 4, 2014
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I just picked up a MAS 1,6 a couple of weeks ago and I can attest that it is an impressive piece of kit. I was considering the same options you were and happened to stumble onto this little gem.

I paired it up with my EA Doubler for rehearsal this week and it projected everything I like about my bass into the mix. I was playing with a 20 piece Big Band and sounded great. Even the BL, who was a little skeptical at first, totally fell in love with it. These results may be atypical, as that is a very live room and I’m in a corner. However, I also used it tonight with an electric bass and a 12 piece band and it sounded just as amazing.

I still need to experiment with it a little more to find that line where appropriate/inappropriate meet in regards to band/room size... but so far it has completely impressed me.

As a side note, keyboard players seem to be completely enthralled with it. I play a few notes through it and they’re drawn to it like moth to a flame

lrhbass, lurk and Povl Carstensen like this.
  6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    The nice thing about getting a separate head is you can have different speakers, it is less costly to just get a speaker than a new combo. The Upshot works great for many settings, if I need more I have a 15. I want to get a normal lightweight cab at some point. It is great to just bring the head when places have a bass cab, also. So, I'd recommend going with the Clarus/Upshot.
    One thing is while that combination has a great sound, it seems to want to be tweeked a bit for each room, rather than having a dependable setting.

geoffbassist, lurk and Hasty like this.
  7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Just a note here, the MAS 1/6 is avaliable as either a stand alone cabinet or a powered cabinet. So you can have one with the head of your choice.

Hasty and lrhbass like this.
  8. Hasty

Hasty

Jul 4, 2014
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Damon,

I agree on the separate head concept. My MAS cab is not powered so I use the EA Doubler. Which I prefer for the same reasons you do. I can use the MAS, or a single 112, or if it’s an outdoor gig I can use a pair of 112’s if there is limited PA support (shudder) All using the same head.

damonsmith likes this.
  9. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    That is a great town you live in - Joe T. Garcia's and the only Michelangelo painting in the US.

10. Hasty

Hasty

Jul 4, 2014
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Yes! The Torment of St Anthony at the Kimball. I’ve seen it many many times. My 7 year old is scared of the painting.

damonsmith likes this.
  11. I cant wait to get my MAS 16, which should ship this weekend. I guess that is a private remark. But then I will be able to comment on the differences between a WW with an AI downfiring cabinet, and a 16. Upshot will have to wait...