1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MAS 18 vs. Double Shot?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by statsc, Sep 8, 2019.

1. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Anyone have any experience with (or ideas about) how the MAS 18 compares to the Double Shot? These would be powered by an AI Clarus SL. It’s hard to believe that an 8” cab could keep up with two 10’s, but my experience with my MAS 16 shows me that Mike’s cabs are quite extraordinary! Any idea how both of these compare to the Ten2?

Michael Drost likes this.
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Michael Drost has both so he’s the one who can really answer this question best.

3. Michael Drost

Michael Drost Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    I don’t have the DS yet. However, I am on the Gollihur list. I should have it soon.

I am looking forward to being able to compare both.

This is the closest example we have to date:

4. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    Well, to my ears there´s more low end with that 1x6". What a firm and balanced sound - astonishing! But which one you hear better when you play with a band on a gig?

5. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Yes; the MAS 16 is quite astonishing! For louder gigs, however, there is a volume threshold beyond which it wasn’t designed to go. For this reason I’m considering adding the MAS 18 or the Double Shot, just not sure which way to go. Either would be lighter than the AI Ten2, which I currently use for louder gigs, which is another consideration for me.

6. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    they should be pretty comparable in volume. There are other advantages but I don't
    want to get in trouble with the mods

statsc and Michael Drost like this.
  7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    At the ISB convention Chris, Michael, and myself all heard Ron Carter play into the Double Shot and it was definitely covering the house well. I was way back in the hall, but Chris and Michael were both closer up front and

the both remarked at how great it sounded. To that point, I play out with a MAS 1/8 and have used it at the Tuhill Auditorium here in St. Louis which is about the same size and it sounded great. I really think that you're trying

to compare two cabinets with radically different design goals. As an example, I think comparing Mikes 1/6 to Mikes 1/8 would tell you that their both, great but the 1/8 will go louder and lower. Comparing the Double Shot to the

Upshot might give you something usefull ( not sure about this since one fires up and the other fires to both sides) as well. This is why IME theese "shoot off's " are pretty useless. Just my take however. One thing for sure,

these designs are cutting edge.

8. Michael Drost

Michael Drost Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    I have played the 18 for about 3 months.

I have said it before, but it is the best sounding and responsive bass cab I have played yet. An amazing gig machine.

We will see how the DS matches up. As Rick said...both cutting edge. I’ll chime in when I receive the DS.

Talking to Rick Jones at ISB he said “the DS blows the Ten2 out of the water”. Which is why they have discontinued the Ten2.

9. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Agreed; these recorded comparisons of limited value. It’s got be YOUR bass, with YOUR equipment, on YOUR gig to get any sort of meaningful comparison. Still, others’ experience and/or experience is helpful to me in making a choice. On the gig is the real test!

Ric Vice and Michael Drost like this.
  10. SamuelHarris

SamuelHarris Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Detroit MI USA
    I can't comment but I've been using the clarus sl powering an mas18 for about two years. In conjunction with my single sensor yamahiko pickup, I'm consistently blown away by how good and how RESPONSIVE it is. The tone isn't that of a mic but the response is not that of a pickup. The volume is pretty amazing for something so small.

I don't have any experience with the double upshot though. I have tried the single upshot and the 18 was better in just about everyway except compactness, lightest weight.

Povl Carstensen likes this.
  11. statsc

statsc Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Burlington, VT
    Got it; thanks Mike! I know you’ve updated the powered MAS 18 recently; have you updated the un-powered MAS 18 in the last year or so?

Povl Carstensen likes this.