1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Master Blaster (Jammin')

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by NZBassman, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ok so my band (covers band) has decided to add some reggae to the setlist and they want to learn Master Blaster.... OMFG!!!
    I'm a pretty competent bass player and have been playing for about 25 years, but that run has really got me stumped. We are a 4 piece band - Gat - Bass - Drums - Voc so it's not like I'll have a keyboard or horn section doubling me.

is there an easy way to learn that run?? I've tried to break it in to sections but that doesn't seem to work for me. i'll have another look on you tube to see if I can find anything

I cannot read tabs, but can read music notes.... so if anyone can point me in the direction where I can find the actual bass notes that would be much appreciated!

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Not sure if you can view in your country. Also, play it with better feel. This guy has the notes right but zero feel.

3. thanks - yes I saw that clip and a few others on you tube last night... 90% of the song is pretty straight forward, it's jist that big run that I am struggling with... will have a good play over the weekend

4. This was for my eyes only, but, hey, maybe it could help

Attached Files:

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  5. It takes some learning, for sure, but you feel pretty cool after you nail it and slide back into the opening octave groove with that “Yeah Bee-atch!!” look on your face.

Could be worse, the run in Sir Duke is a killer, obviously composed by a keyboard player.

6. thanks for the replies... will tackle it this weekend and next week... singer is keen to do it at next weekends gig..... but she doesn't have to learn the bass line!

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  8. thanks for all your help - I'm learning it bit by bit and have most of the song pretty much down pat - just that run is the tricky bit!

9. Freebase

Freebase

Nov 20, 2014
    NW Oregon
    I'm a solid intermediate player If I learned it you can. There's dudes on YouTube who do it well. also the tab is easy to find online

10. thanks I'm pretty sure I've got it all worked out now... there are plenty of people covering it on youtube too
    the run is only tricky when I play it at normal speed - my 44 year old fingers don't seem to be able to move as fast as they once did LOL!