1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

matching amp and cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kaak, May 26, 2011.

1. Kaak

Kaak

May 20, 2011
    I think I need to upgrade or fix up my gear. I have a Little Mark II and Bagend S15D w/ no tweeter. This unit replaced SWR Workingman 12. The LMII and bagend does the job for our situation and the biggest venue being a high school gym. Before I consider an outright replacement I want some suggestions to consider. The type of playing is mainly C&W, 60's-70's rock and no slap or funk. I got the LMII for its portability and the Bagend since the price was good.
    I am wondering if there is a more complicated way of matching and selecting your components. Is the best track to have same brand head and cabs?
    What is the best match cab for the LM II?
    I'm looking for a clear smooth low. We've three basses, a Fender P, Birdsong Cardobass (short scale) and just aquired a Jazz.
    We travel in Cessna 207's or pickup truck and sometimes by snowmobile, so weight is a factor. I apologize for a long winded rambling question. Thank you in advance.

2. Wyrm74

Wyrm74

Oct 28, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    You need to detail why the current setup isn't working for you. If we don't know what's wrong, there isn't much advice to give!

If it's a volume issue, just add a second Bag End. Both the cab and head you have are quality pieces, and matching head and cabs (same manufacturer) is no big deal at all. From what I can tell, there are at least as many if not more bass rigs out there that DON'T match as those that do. I haven't had a "matching" rig in over 20 years now! Good luck.

3. Kaak

Kaak

May 20, 2011
    Thank you for your reply. Maybe its hype, but by match I meant the design of the amp works best or excels with a specific size and impedance of the speaker. I appreciate your opinion that my gear is adequate. What you recommend as the second cab? Bagend 1X15 or Bagend 1X15 with compression driver or 2X10. From what I understand the second will also have to be 8 ohm. Again thank you for the replky.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Adding another bagend 15 will keep the same tone you have now, just make it louder. The tweeter in the 2nd cab is optional and yes it needs to be 8 ohms.

There's no reason not to mix amps and cabs. There are technical reasons to not mix different speakers all playing the same frequencies like in a 410+15 stack but people still do it all the time.