Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Matt Garrison?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bass element, Jan 30, 2005.

1. anyone know about this guy? i saw an article about him in bassplayer magazine but didnt have enough time to read it. i just remember it saying that people were comparing him to the likes of Jaco and Wooten.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Check him out ASAP. Visit the link James provided and bowse his discography. My personal favorites include Herbie Hancock's Future2Future Live DVD and Matt's live CD/DVD combo. His playing on Steve Coleman's version of Salt Peanuts is amazing, too.

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Matt is a monster player.
    And a super guy to boot. I know him and he's ultra humble considering he is on the Jaco/Bona level. He really is that good.
    Comparring him to Wooten. Victor is freaking amazing, but he isn't a Jaco.....YET!!
    (don't get bent out of shape, Vic is sweet, but he hasn't wrote anything near the tunes like Jaco did on his first solo CD IMO)

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks for the heads up!

:)

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    http://www.m-base.com/deftran.html - i got this album a while back on Steve's site...forgot i even had it....so i head to allmusic.com to see who the players are...it didn't say much, so i then went back to the mbase site and searched around, it lists players, but doesn't say what songs they play on...

which tunes does Matt play on? just salt peanuts?

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I think he also played with Herbie Hancock recently, I saw a DVD with him, on Future2Future... Something like that, sorry it's really foggy. But I do remember him switching from electric to EUB almost every other song and even on 1 song. He'd just take his electric and sling it behind his back.

Really slick bassist.

8. yep, he gets 10 points

9. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Hmmm....

At one point in time I had a track listing which had Matt on SP only. I believe it listed Reggie Washington as the bassist for the rest of the album. As of right now, I cannot find the listing. If I find it, I'll let you know.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    aight, cool

thanks
    :)

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Nope, Never, Not-at-all....
    :D

12. thanx for all the info guys!

13. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hey Jason,

Can you give me a little mini review of his new CD/DVD? I bought his first CD from his website (came signed, to me, which was a cool thing) and I really dig it. I've got Future2Future and compositionally it's amazing (it is Herbie after all), the only thing I was a little disappointed with was that there wasn't really any footage of Matt soloing within the context of a tune, i.e. playing through changes. His free form thing was nice and definitely displayed his stellar technique, but lately I've been really into seeing what these monsters do to improvise over chord changes. His solo(s) on "Groove Tune" on that first disc is what I'm talking about. . .

Also, is Gene Lake playing drums on the DVD? Gene is a bad, bad man!!! :bassist: ---> (there's no slammin drummer icon)

14. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
  15. Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Sure...

The CD portion contains 5 tracks from the original CD - Family, Shapeless, Duet, Groove Tune, and Dark Matter. It also contains two other tracks, Turn Around (from Shapeshifter) and Duet 5/4. The latter I believe is an improv. All tracks are excellent!!

The DVD captures all the tracks from the CD, plus two extra sections, Arto's Song and additional footage. Arto's song is an improvised piece using a bottle from Arto Tuncboyacian that will blow you away. The extra footage is your standard "behind the scenes" footage.

All-in-all, the CD/DVD combo is a great buy, IMO.

Yes, he is.

[EDIT] Thanks for posting the link, Papersen.

16. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    much obliged to you both. Thanks!!!

17. Freeloader

Freeloader

Dec 30, 2004
    i think matt plays on track #6 on def trance beat.... don't remember what it was called, but i think reggie washington plays 'salt peanuts' and not matt. again, i'm not very sure.

18. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Hey,

I'm studying with Matt privately every week now at Berklee College of Music and I've been an avid fan of his since 2000 and his debut release. Man, check this guy out. He's doing something no other bassist is doing. Sure, maybe wooten has chops, les can slap, bona can sing beautifully and has a great groove. But no one is anywhere close to Matt's level of sophistication, not only on his instrument, but in his composition and improvisation.

This guy is really doing stuff, don't miss it.

19. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I agree with you.
    For me, MG is one of the refreshing bassists out there.
    He`s a great player but an even better composer.

20. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    him and DdP are both refreshing bassists on the planet today.