1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mattisson Bass - Anyone Had Experience with This Maker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by naiya, Dec 12, 2017.

1. naiya

naiya

Jul 21, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello all. I've been trying for about a year to get Mattison Bass in Sweden to respond to my inquiries about ordering the Henrik Linder Signature Model with the true temperament fret system. Has anyone had the pleasure of dealing with them before? Are they super backed up? Do I have to physically sneak into NAMM, or maybe fly to Sweden and camp on their doorstep to get their attention? :) Please let me know... Thanks!

Attached Files:

Garret Graves likes this.
  2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Hi naiya-------Too bad about the lack of communication. After a year (which is waaaayyy longer than I'd go) I guess you could think, thank gawd they have NOT finally responded. What about,once they FINALLY respond, you sending them their required "start" money and again, no communication? Maybe for good once they have your $. I f they cannot react immediately to a potential customer, I'd not trust them as far as I could throw them. Lots of good and better basses other than them.

3. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    I’m going to NAMM this year, and can inquire for you- but MEKer has a solid point there!

4. I know Anders Mattisson, he lives about 20 minutes from my house. Think I got his phone number somewhere, if you're interested.

Oh and btw, he just made this for Janek Gwizdala.

24899984_1574456716009308_7386626337885997531_n.jpg

chaak and Garret Graves like this.
  5. Bass Direct in the UK had one in stock for a while. It was hugely expensive (around £6000 if I recall) and stayed in stock for a long while. It looked like a fine instrument but I'm always of the opinion that it shouldn't be hard to spend your money. When buying a custom bass, you're paying for a finely made product but you're not beholden to the mercurial whim of a visionary artist and good customer service is easy enough if the builder really cares for it.

I daresay that if a luthier wasn't prompt in responding with either a positive or negative reply to my attempt to pay them several thousand pounds in cash then I would look elsewhere.

Lackey, Garret Graves and Adam Wright like this.
  6. kumimajava

kumimajava

May 19, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    Not had an experience of "ordering" from this maker, but played one of their instruments here... I mistook it for a 6-string, but it was in fact a 7 (also with true-temperament frets).

Build quality was very solid, the neck felt incredibly stiff. Finishing was flawless (nice satin finish on the one i tried). Though i liked the neck profile overall, the volute & headstock felt little bit like a club, and in general the bass felt pretty "massive", though perfectly balanced. Price, if I recall, was around 750,000 Yen (around 5,000 USD) lightly used.

Overall felt like a fantastic instrument - but in this price-bracket, many do...

jibreel likes this.
  7. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    So kumimajava said, " ...but in this price-bracket, many do..."
    Boy, that's the truth.

Crap...I'd be looking for a American-made Sadowsky. Not only for CUSTOMER SERVICE (right here in USA) you can be assured of getting down the road, but also since a Sadowsky is so well known also as a true quality bass, the re-sale value and ease of resale if you really had a reason to get rid of it. Yeah, a Sadowsky. Give them a call if you have a bunch of $ burning a hole in your pocket for a primo bass.

Oh, as a point of cool interest, I was watching a Steely Dan interview show on them making an album (Aja IIRC) and Walter Becker (R.I.P.) was holding a Sadowsky guitar in the studio. Cool! Also, here he is with his Sadowsky bass if I am making out the name correctly. Sigh...maybe one day I will be able to get one :crying:

Walter-Becker.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    nateh415 likes this.
  8. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello Naiya. You can contact the True Temperament Fretting System company directly.

They could sell you a fretboard, which you could have built into a custom instrument made in North America. Surely there are qualified luthiers here who would be interested in this kind of commission. Stambaugh comes to mind. Can you imagine a custom Sukop with a true temperament fretboard? Too cool. :D

It's worth mentioning that the fretboard makers also are in Sweden. Though their contact info differs from that of Mattison, there is some possibility that they are related. Still worth a try, I think.

Good luck!

9. Lella Gislen

Lella Gislen

Sep 4, 2017
    Did you even get in touch with Anders? Hope you did! I have a few basses built by him and they are amazing.

kumimajava likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021