Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Max osX on PC.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Kinda cool:)

Tanx

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

So many different ramifications.

Cheaper Macs, better software, more virus, pop into my head.

One thing I really like about my Mac, is the fact that I don't have to worry about spyware, and virus, as much as on my PC. But is the price tag worth it. On the other hand, I hate waiting 6 months for the same version of PC software to become available on Mac.

This definately blurs the lines between the two.

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    How will running on a different processor change the amount of viruses or spyware? It still has to be coded to run under OS X.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I think the thing is, OS-X is no longer "not a target" and has proven easy to hack.

I wonder if Apple will ever regret moving to darwin, switching to Intel etc.

6. The spyware/virus issue is a result of the Windows operating system, not the hardware in x86-based PCs. (Linux for example doesn't have these issues when used on either a Mac or x86 PC.)

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    read my post too.

8. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    It has nothing to do with the processor in my opinion. It has to do with hacker now being able to easily afford OS X systems.

9. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Will it run on AMD processors?

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    yes.

11. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    +1. Yes easier to hack.

This event makes the potential general number of OS X users greater (possible every PC could be running OS X).

Sorry, let me clarify myself: it's not so much about Macs, but OS X to me.

If OS X was more common to the general computer owner than it is now (ie: running OS X on any PC, or Macs having to drop prices to compete with PCs), I think more hackers would start to try attacking Macs.

12. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    No. At least not officially. The TPM has been cracked, but so far only Intel systems have been able to run OS X due to OS X needing SSE3. Work is in process to get OS X running on Intel chips with SSE2 but that hasn't happened yet. So AMD will have to be able to emulate SSE2 at the very least once a cracked version of OS X able to run on SSE2 chips has been released.

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    thus the cycle begins....

14. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Apple has stated that only Apple Intel systems will be able to run OS X. I'm certain that hacked versions of the release (not the developer version that's currently available) version of OS X for Intel will be hacked but then you have to work on getting drivers for your hardware. If Apple keeps doing things the way they do now, only a small set of motherboards will be able to run OS X because Apple won't be building drivers for equipment that isn't in their Intel Macs.

15. From the article: "Now the hacked version of OSx86 is running on Dell laptops and other PCs with Intel and AMD microprocessors. "

16. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    BOO! :eek: This may mean that they may not develop drivers for their older machines. Not like this is unheard of or anything, but I forgot about the ramifications to MY machine. It is quite possible that non-Intel Mac users may get left behind.

Similar to OS 9 users, and the introduction of "Classic" when G4's and OS X came about.

17. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sweetness...maybe I will try using mac...already gave up on linux, just because I coudlnt get the hang of it...

18. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yessir, you are correct. Looking at this AMD page, Opteron processors provide SSE3 support. So Opterons will run the cracked version of OS X/Intel.

Still, the release version of OS X will run on Intel's 'Yonah' chipset which has hardware copyright restriction capabilities that don't yet exist in the Intel line. It's speculated that these properties along with a hardware chip on the motherboard is what Apple expects to keep piracy/cracking to a minimum.

Now just about everyone knows that most popular software protected by a hardware dongle is cracked and p2p'ed very quickly, so this could happen to OS X as well. But, in the pre OS X days, Apple used proprietary boot ROMs that contained boot code that kept OS 9 and before from booting on generic PPC computers. I would imagine Apple will use this knowledge to keep OS X from being bootable on just any PC.

Also, I don't expect to see any significant price reduction for Apple computers. Unless, that is, they significantly reduce R&D expenditures on North/Southbridge chipsets and other motherboard ASICs by using Intel chipsets. They're still going to be designing custom mobos (don't think we'll see an ATX or mini-ATX form factor Apple anytime soon) for their AIO units and laptops. Hopefully we'll see what happens at MWSF. I'd hate to have to wait for WWDC next June.

19. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Bah humbug.

20. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Damn you Jobs.