1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MB212-II with a MXR M80 preamp DI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KeddyLee, Dec 30, 2015.

1. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Nov 12, 2013
    Delaware
    OK... here's my current setup. I have a Hartke HA3500 head with a 4x10 and a 1x15. The Hartke has a preamp on it and I had issues using my DI (preamping a preamp and such) but wanted to get the tone shaping of the M80 on stage soooo.... I ended up looping into the MXR using the effects send/return. All works fine.

Now... I am looking to downsize (just size ;) ) my rig for ease of setup and breakdown as well as fitting all my crap in my car. I'm in a Rush tribute band so I have 2 keyboards and footpedals also.

My question (finally, right?) is... with no effects loop on the MB212-II, has anyone ever run this amp with a preamp DI box like the MXR M80? Any issues with it? My plan is to take the pedal to my local music store and test drive it but wondering if anyone already knows.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Following, just cuz I know you.

KeddyLee likes this.
  3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    You are probably going to have to turn the input gain way down on the combo and keep the eq flat so it wont overdrive the built in Preamp on the combo amp just my guess

4. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Nov 12, 2013
    Delaware
    That's my plan. Gonna test it out on Saturday. Thanks!

BassikLee likes this.
  5. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Nov 12, 2013
    Delaware
    For those interested, I brought my MXR pedal into GC and tried it with the MB212. Glorious. The minor grit on the M80 along with the boost on the MB212 produced an amazing growl. Now to financially make it happen.

6. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Although I've not tried my M80 with a Hartke amp I've never had any issues going unto any other amp (Mesa, Trace, GK, SWR, etc.)

What issues were you experiencing?

7. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Nov 12, 2013
    Delaware
    The Hartke has a preamp that maybe is hotter than most? Not sure really but Driving the M80 enough to get the board a good signal had me setting my preamp on the Hartke to about .25. Reeeeally low. I loop it now through my effects loop so I can dial in the return but still send a good hot signal to the FOH. I used the pedal with other amps too with no issue.

8. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Nov 12, 2013
    Delaware
    Update. I bought the MB212-II and gigged with it on Saturday.

Loved it! Carried it in with one hand and it thumped! I still have some tone dialing to do but barely pushed it at all (gain on 3 or 4 and volume on 5 or 6?) and it was plenty on stage. Ran with a pretty flat EQ as well. My load in, set up, and load out are now a breeze! :D

Spector2112 and BassikLee like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021