1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MCA: Adam Yauch

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BigLoopDuke, Jul 24, 2007.

1. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    MCA was the first bassist I ever really paid attention to. The first album I bought was Check Your Head and I wore out two cassettes before I finally got it on CD. Although the B-Boys use a lot of samples, his bass has been probably the most influential on me throughout my career, thus far. I have their instrumental compliation "The In Sound From the Way Out" their new instrumental album, "The Mix-Up" on constant repeat in my playlist.

Does anyone have a good link to find out more info about him/his bass playing? I've been searching for a while, but typically only come up with his MC skills. Equipment, effects, etc.?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I totally dig his playing. The retro vibe they frequent is really in tune with the stuff I go for. I've got all there stuff... The new one is pretty alright!

3. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    I love how he sounds in Sabrosa.

4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I quite like his playing... have a hard time keeping straight what's bass and what's synth or a sample, though.

If memory serves, he used to play a Fender Mustang, there's a clip somewhere on youtube of them playing Woodstock (forget if it's 94 or 99) and that's what he's got, at least for that show.

5. Gratitude was one of the first basslines that I learned how to play. I was big into the Beastie Boys when I started playing bass and have gotten into them again this past year.

6. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    Beastie Boys rule. Don't really have any information on MCA's playing as I've been looking also and not finding much but I would like to add to this thread that the Beasties (and MCA on bass no doubt) were the best act of Live Earth that I saw. I knew they played instruments before that but when they brought out the instruments (well more like put um on I don't think they were offstage) I was like :eek: :D and it made watching that hippie concert worth it :p

7. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Their current tour is split into two flavors...a hip-hop show and an instrumental jam. In about a month, they're in Denver for an all-instrumental show. And I'll be two long states away. :(

8. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Nothing. There is nothing not to like about that guy.

9. And a great producer to boot - his work on the new Bad Brains is fantastic

10. Lagaupia

Lagaupia

Apr 23, 2007
    RI
    +1 there.

11. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    I really like him. I've grown up listening to the Beastie Boys, and they've always impressed me with their beats, rhythm, and instrumental numbers. I don't know what amps he uses, but I know he uses Fender P-basses as well as an old Ampeg bass. Too cool.

12. the bassline and tone for 'sabatoge' ripped my head off the first time i heard it. brilliant!

13. Moreau

Moreau

Jan 3, 2006
    Canada
    pretty sure he was rockin a 70's jazz at live earth this year

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Amazing bassist, I love his style. He can play some serious funk, but then he's not afraid to play some weird rock stuff, Sabotage is a really unique riff, interesting strumming pattern. Ill communication is awesome all around, he even jumps on an upright for a few tracks.

15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'd have to agree with Matt 100% right here. To me, the Beasties are the epitome of musical innovation in the past 20 years.

16. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Great stuff. I was in a band years ago that covered Sabotage.

M

17. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I completely agree. He also seems to be the most down-to-earth of the Beasties.

Ooh, I keep forgetting to check out the new Bad Brains!:oops:

18. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    He really makes The Mix-Up work, too. The other guys, talented as they are, seem to recognize that Adam is the centre of their instrumental sound and they work gloriously around him, the real meat of the band.

stoned_ape likes this.
  19. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I've always loved MCA's bass playing on both electric and upright. The Beasties have created such a tremendous variety of moods over the years. Only gear pix I've seen are the Mustang, and upright with a pickup, and a GK 800RB head driving a monstrous Peavey 3620 (2x18 + 2x10) cabinet.

20. dennish83377

dennish83377

Nov 3, 2005
    He played custom Ampeg cabs at the Live Earth show. I read this article a couple of weeks back so I was looking for the rig at the LE show.
    http://www.ampeg.com/roundsound/news_events/

Ditto to his talent as MC and bassist.