1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ME-50B as individual pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by diegom, Mar 25, 2020.

1. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

I used an ME-50B for a bit. I loved the fact that it had knobs I can interact with. I hated the fact that COSM seemed to be on all the time and that we could not use certain effects simultaneously.

So, I asked myself, what would it take to get all those effects as individual pedals?
    And I came up with the list below.

Pros
    Extra flexibility in effects order, simultaneous effects, full bypass of all effects (Although a buffer would still be active)

Cons
    Extra, extra large pedalboard. No patch memory. The Price!

(Please note I chose mostly Boss pedals, to match the ME-50B, except where prohibitively expensive)

I welcome any comments...
    upload_2020-3-25_14-44-51.png

Oh well...

Diego

2. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    I did that excercise long ago, and didn’t include half the pedals you listed and didn’t find it practical nor very economical. I prefered to hunch down and move the knobs.
    Now I have a hx effects and I miss the boss very much

diegom likes this.
  3. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

So, the HX Effects didn't do it for you? I was thinking about it...

4. I’d probably buy a boss MS-3 and a couple good dirt pedals and call it a day. I believe it has all those effects and I know it has the ability to connect some external pedals. Some of the effects of those boss multis like the defretter for example are basically impossible to get in a dedicated pedal. At least I’ve never found anything similar.

diegom likes this.
  5. Gibson Victory

Gibson Victory Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I went back to the ME 50 B, deciding it did more things right than it did wrong. So I am currently using it with other effects pedals either before or after it. Currently my 6 er’s into the ME 50B, Tech 21 Red Ripper, Tech 21 DLA, then into one of my Ampeg SVT 5 Pro’s. Have to admit though, I am just a turn the knob and go person, not much on patching. Sorry, old school here. So I guess what I am saying here is think of the 50B as the “core” unit, make settings accordingly. If you can’t get to where you want to go after that, add something else AFTER the 50B. Maybe just an idea.

diegom likes this.
  6. RexxRokket

RexxRokket

Apr 23, 2012
    Hellnezuela
    I am doing the same thing with my GT 6B, just overdrive and octave pedals before and a noise gate after (I could go just fine without the dedicated noise gate tho). Sounds neat.

diegom likes this.
  7. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    Well it does, in a way, it is super flexible but I think the boss is more bass friendly (much straightforward, especially for overdrive and fuzz) and the expression pedal works better than a separate pedal for the Hx (couldn’t find an expression pedal with footswitch). I’ve had annoying bugs with the Hx (nonexistent in the boss). If you want to go the ‘single pedal way’, the Hx would be going in the opposite direction. My 0,02

diegom likes this.