Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Me and My SVT just got Shutdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stingraysvt, Sep 1, 2011.

1. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

Jun 20, 2011
    Little bummed out,

I've been using my old SVT in Church on and off over the past 2 years and was just pulled aside and asked if I needed such a large amp, couldn't I play through something smaller? :crying:

Not that I can't, I just hate lugging it around too much since the cab is early 70's and the head is a 76 or 77.

I haven't really even been playing it that loud, I was just excited I had a nice indoor environment with no natural sunlight, where it got turned on and used 2-3 times a week.

Well it's apparently TOO BIG and takes up alot of room onstage, and they wanted to see if I could minimize my "footprint".

I'm actually pulling it out of there today because I have a gig Tomorrow with it and we are going to setup tonight. Thankfully I just started gigging with a oldies group that this would be perfect for, that's just fewer and far between gigs than how often it was getting used at church...

guess I really need to look at getting the 210AV's a little bit more seriously so I can at least keep the head in the loop.... :bassist:

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not that a pair of 210s will make that much smaller of a foot print ;)

3. Register_To_Disable

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A lot of room onstage? Only vertically. I say stand your ground, man!

Or look into smaller cabs.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    +1

Just as a question has the problem of the Micro VR with two cabinets been solved???

6. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Tell them that god plays through Ampeg and to not do so would be a blasphemy against him.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If asked to provide a different amp for a gig, especially one where I'm not getting paid, I would tell the person making the request that they are more than welcome to provide a different amp. If they are unwilling to do that, then they can either live with the SVT, or find a new bassist.

...unless of course the gig is REALLY important to you...

8. lol @ using an svt at a church function.

9. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    They are hearing with their eyes. My 500 watt 2x10 combo can get WAY loud, but my tall stack was "seen" as too loud. Make them happy with a smaller but sufficient rig. And keep the mice away from your SVT when you store it!

10. Beat me to it. I was going to say Jesus loves SVT's.
    WWJD? Play through an SVT of course!

11. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

Jun 20, 2011
    I already have!!! lol!!!

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The way i look at it is that if God arranged for you to acquire an SVT rig no one should gainsay you for using it in his house and for his worship!

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    tell him the cab could double as a pulpit. A gloriously rawkin pulpit.

14. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I thought an SVT was the voice of god.

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If you've seen Dogma, and that end result, you would think it was close. ;) At least cranked with yer nogin right next to it, lol.

16. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

Jun 20, 2011
    Vertically it does get in the way of the backgrounds that the creative team comes up with.

This was one of the issues he was challenging.. along with the horizontal footprint as well... it gets over into the Bongo player's area.

One setup we did, they moved it way over so they could set up this wacky nautical theme so to get the amp somewhat behind me I laid the cab on it's side, and hated it the entire time it was down there.

It does really good in there and I don't turn it up all that much to really bask in the glory of it... but, like I said, I really enjoyed it getting used on a regular basis... and that it was stored in an air conditioned environment, away from sunlight, etc...

I've been pondering that issue....

17. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Come on, get real. :rollno: You can't use that argument against the church...

...we all know God played through the B15N.

A fliptop would be nice for a worship, or you could always get the Micro-VR + 210AV and say "Honey, I shrunk my rig!"

18. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    What would Jesus do? He would have parted the seas to make room for an Ampeg.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Still waiting for new production units, but yes, apparently it has.

20. Mktavish

Mktavish

Aug 19, 2011
    Consider wether or not you want to play for god.
    And if they give you such limitations, are they really playing for god.

By the way couldnt you just turn your bass gutair volume down? I mean Jesus gives us means in many stange ways doesnt he? Oh by the way stop using that grunge petal.

LOL

21. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

Jun 20, 2011
    If they hadn't seen me drag multiple rigs in there then maybe I'd have a leg to stand on, I like being able to control my rig destiny, last one they had was a Hartke kick back, that the old bass player used as a monitor.

I'm not very keen on having bass come at me from the front... it just kinda scares me when I hit a note kinda wonky... or substitute a note for what's supposed to be played ;) cause I don't play wrong notes.... :cool: