1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MEC pickups - hum/buzz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StreamerDavid, May 6, 2006.

1. On my Streamer, my pickups are buzzing when the lights are on at the church where I play and at the studio where I play they have to turn certain lights off when I play the Streamer. It has active MEC soapbars and MEC preamp. My bass guy says it's shielded properly and he even put an extra ground on per the Warwick tech's advice. I'm wondering if the MEC pickups are noisy...

Particularly since my Lakland and Mike Lull basses make no such noise with Bartolini preamps and Lindy Fralin pu's.

2. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

I have the same problem with my FNA Jman in my church.
    But I have a BasslinesMM5 in the bridge that's not as noisy.
    I think the electrical in your church has a grounding problem that is picked up by the MEC, I had no problem with my Smith
    now i can't stand the NOISE!:(

3. BassTerd

BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I just got a new streamer stage 1 yesterday. I plugged it on and it had some buzz and picked up a radio station. Dam bass is a radio antena. So I installed some copper shielding tape in the electronics cavity and it seams to have done the trick. I had this same problem with my last warwick and also had to install the copper sheilding. That paint sheilding warwick uses doesn't seem to do anything.

4. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

I'll have too give that a try.:eyebrow: