melodic bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fivesevenoh, Dec 21, 2003.

1. I was wondering if anyone could list some bassists with real mellow melodic material. thanks.
  2. Chris Wolstenhome from Muse plays quite melodic although their music isn't always very mellow...
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Jimmy Haslip plays with the Yellow Jackets, man his lines can be just amazing... Often his licks are so subtle but they fit so perfectly...
  4. Jimmy "Flim" Johnson has great melodic instincts. Roberto Vally is another one. Haslip is probably the king, though.

Jaco's stuff with Joni Mitchell was pretty amazing. also check out Michael Manring's stuff with Michael Hedges. lovely.

from the lows,

5. definitely Haslip!! Check out 'Four Corners', 'Politics', and 'The Spin' from the Yellowjackets.
  6. walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    Nate Mendel of the Foo Fighters is pretty melodic. Checkout songs like "aurora" by the foo's or even "breakout".
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't think that Tony Levin is really known for his melodic lines per se but when he does go melodic he plays some really beautiful stuff. One example are the breaks on King Crimson's Vroom Vroom. He plays some of the most graceful bass lines.

brad cook
  8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Colin Moulding
  9. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Stewart Zender from Jamiroqui is very creative and quite melodic at times. Like on "If I Like It I Just Do it"

Another good one is Carles Benevent, He is a very melodic pick style player. He's more Jazz or Flamenco.

10. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Colin Moulding definitely. Great player. Also Mike Mills on the first two REM albums. Although considered "alternative" at the time, they're quite mellow compared to what's out there now. Remember, he was asked to play early Paul McCartney bass for the Backbeat film.
  11. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Jaco Pastorius was a very melodic and innovative bass player. Charlie Haden is also very melodic but he plays only (as far as I know) Upright Bass.

Not sure these players were in the genre you were asking for though ...

12. Futterman

Feb 12, 2003
    Paul McCartney... He had meny melodic bass lines:bassist:
  13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

14. Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Dec 11, 2003
    Gotta be Victor Wooten... bass as solo instrument.:cool:
  15. Krogolas

Dec 15, 2003
    Mayhem´s Necrobuthcer is a sure pick, bet you love his playing.
    And merry christmas!
  16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I'll second that!!!

17. Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Dec 11, 2003
    I haven't heard of them... I'll have to check them out. That's why I love TB :)
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002