1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MESA 400+ shockmount rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erodus, Jun 2, 2007.

1. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I have a 400+ and was wondering if it is necessary to house it in a shockmount rack such as the mesa sus-4 or the gator shockmount for when playing shows, driving, etc. I heard that you do because of the tubes rattling during transport etc, and I heard that you don't because it's built very solid. Does Anyone have a mesa 400/400+ or not and can share some insight please?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've got your sus-4 right here buddy...;)

DSCN0499.jpg

The believe common consensus is:
    If you (or other people) are going to be slamming your gear around, get it.
    If you always carefully tote your own gear; you probably don't need the extra
    protection or 30 lbs of weight.

I think their cool, but this empty case is heavier than most amps. (35lbs)

3. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    ^very nice:bassist:

Im kicking myself for letting that sus-4 rack go on ebay for $250:crying:

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Do you mean the 4 or 8 space e-bay ones?
    I thought a really nice Mesa sus-4 (4-space) went for only $150 a couple of weeks ago.
    I just checked e-bay completed listings, and its gone now, but the 8 space was a ($280 minimum)
    and had gotten no bids.

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I keep mine in a Gator 4 space. Recently, as I have posted, it came crashing down from the top of my stack , off the stage and onto a concrete floor. Works fine, no damage apart from a couple of scratches on the front handles which obviously protected the front.Yes. it is very solid and appears almost bullet proof. Bear in mind the considerable added weight of a shock case - I bought the 400+ because it was much lighter than my old SVT2.

6. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I meant the genuine mesa. I might consider a mesa 8 space shock rack with wheels 22" deep. It's got wheels but itself weighs 50 lbs!! with a 400+, and some other stuff in there we're talking 110+ pounds. Maybe I should wait for the 4 space and just get a seperate case for the effects.

7. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    dumb question: do you have the gator shockmount? This type of incident kind of makes want to get the shock rack with wheels that way it's close to the ground. Stacking a tube amp on top of that stack kind of makes uneasy unless I get a wireless :smug:

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You might check/(search) the T/B, for-sale forum,
    I think there was one listed a few months back.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hope this isn't against the rules, but I myself just put up an Mesa 8 space shock rack on ebay today...

10. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Basstriaxis? I'm watching :ninja:

11. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Good question erodus. Mine is in the Gator standard 4 space - not a shock mount.

12. erodus

erodus

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Nice, +1 for mesa toughness.

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That's me...

14. I have an 8U shockmount SKB case for my SVT-II, needless to say, im sick fed up with it, and i hardly used it, its not needed :p

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021