Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Bass 400+ Effects Loop Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matteran, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I just recently bought this amp, and it is amazing, but there seems to be a problem with the effects loop.

I was trying out my chorus pedal (Ibanez Soundtank Bass Chorus), the input plugged into the send, and output plugged into the return. And the pedal powered by a wall wart.

Once I turned the Pedal on, I got a horrible, and extremely loud constant tone, but it was fluxuating because the chorus was effecting the constant tone. With the master and the gain at 0, the tone was very loud. I messed with the effects blend knob on the back of the amp, but that just changes the volume of the loud tone.

Is there something wrong with the amp? with the pedal (it works fine just going from the bass -> pedal -> amp)? Thanks.

2. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I've owned a 400+ since 94, the effects loop can be picky. Some things will work in the loop, others won't. That particular pedal could be made to work in front of the amp, not in the loop, it's my understanding you're dealing with 2 different signal levels. I'd just use it in front.