1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Bass Cabs Best Combination?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rebel Rocker, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Rebel Rocker

Rebel Rocker Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Getting a Mesa D-800+ amp. Trying to decide on Mesa cabs. 112 112 115, 112 115 115,
    115 115 115. Which do you think would be best? Any Mesa guys input would be much appreciated.

2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Mesa Engineering! Warwick-G&L-Source Audio

May 7, 2007
    Stanislaus
    What do you want as far as parameters for the decision?
    What volume do you require?
    What tones?
    Portability?
    All out monster earthquake stack rig?
    Coffehouse volume?

No secret that i vote the 112/115 rig.
    If i needed more volume, I'd add a 115.

I have yet to try out a 2x10 though in a live situation. (don't own one)

Best is any of the cabs.... that get you what you desire for volume and tone.

3. Rebel Rocker

Sep 4, 2017
    Small to mid size places 200-500 people. Mostly Classic rock. I just want a great rig. I've got an Aguilar AG700 with (3) DB112s it just sounds flat sound not a lot of bottom

4. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    The problem is that your “great rig” may be woefully wrong for someone else. A bit more detail or a pointer to a player whose sound you like might help us help you.

5. Rebel Rocker

Sep 4, 2017
    Really wanting opinions from guys/girls that are playing Mesa rigs now. On their combinations of cabs. And I know my "Great Rig" is not for everyone. I know I want Mesa I'm just wanting to know what cabs most are using with their rig. But Thanks for your input.

6. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    I have a 112 and 2x115's.
    My reasoning for the three was that it is easier for me to get mid punchy with any of their cabs with a choice of bass and EQ, but not so much a full old school woolly thump with just a 112 or a 115, 112 stack. I've never been a fan of 10's so the 2x10 never concerned me. Regardless. If you are playing to 300 to 500 folks, the 112 and 115 are going to melt the walls if you jack the volume anyway.
    I'm still glad I purchased both sizes and the additional 115.
    After the fact, I prefer the 2 115's. If the physical room properties are a concern, I'll use the 112 and 115.
    Mesa is quality stuff.

EDIT. There is truth to the statement you may have read concerning the 2x115 versus only one 115. The tone definitely "Blooms". Very full and thick and still articulate.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Rebel Rocker likes this.
  7. Rebel Rocker

Sep 4, 2017
    I was thinking 2x115 and maybe a 112 later on.

/\/\3phist0 and Deak like this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    2 115's and a 112 is a magical combination!

Rebel Rocker likes this.
  9. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    You don’t have to limit yourself strictly to the Subway line.

Mesa makes the powerhouse line( da da daaaa)!

A 410 or even better the 412 will knock your unmentionables right off.

If you want light weight 3-115 and you can cover anything.

But a gig with 200/500 or more people?

Powerhouse.

duderus likes this.
  10. DolphinBro

DolphinBro

Feb 19, 2018
    I play a Warwick Dolphin Pro 4S thru an 800 plus and Subway 112. My style is finger style mostly jazz/funk fusion. Don't slap and pop much. I really have no need for add'l speakers right now. I find the 112 to be very articulate and bright. It will cut. It is most impressive when you crank up the amp some. This is where skirt blowing and shelf rattling starts to happen and the fullness and bottom kicks in. But I do expect to add a 115 because I have heard such nice stuff about them. Having lived with my rig for months now, I could not imagine needing more high end or tightness so adding a bit of bottom might be a little better. But the 800 plus amp will adjust the tones on just about anything IMHO.

How about this. Go to local dealer. BUY 112 or 115 with understanding that you would try it for a gig and may need to swap out (not return) afterwards. If it's any kind of store, they'd work with a professional. Otherwise, ask if they can refer you to a customer. If he let's you try his out for a set or two, give him a few bucks for the privilege. But in the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either speaker. Don't let that small size fool you and try them propped at an angle or elevated on an egg crate. When you get bigger gigs, a small rig will just be your monitor anyway and using the DI out for the crowd.

I'm just happy with my little 112. Only complaint is my rack is almost the same size as the damn speaker. But my back doesn't miss the 8x10 refrigerator days. Best of luck.

Rebel Rocker and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  11. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Personally my vote goes to the PowerHouse 2x12.

Datsgor likes this.
  12. Anhg77

Anhg77

Apr 10, 2018
    Chile
    I have the mesa subway 115 and 210 cabs. The 210 has very prominent hi mids, while the 115 has great low mids but is a little lacking in the hi mids. I find that both cabinets complement each other wonderfully. I much preffer the sound of both together than each one on its own. Perfect combination for me. Punchy detailed and deep sound.

13. keto

keto Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    I’ve been gigging a + with either 115 alone or that and the 210. I get great tone, but I lust for another 115 to try 2 together. I play mostly classic to hard rock, usually with PA support, and honestly the 115 alone would do most of those, just for stage volume in *my* band, but who doesn’t want to rock a stack? :bassist:

Rebel Rocker likes this.
  14. keto

keto Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Forgot to say, I own a 2nd 210 but haven’t run 210 210 or 115 210 210 together at once. Honestly, I’ll probably trade a 210 (which I just got in trade for my 112, which I hated as a stand alone) for another 115. I have run a 210 alone at rehearsals with 2 different bands, and it’s fine sounding but doesn’t bring the fat low of the 115, and have to EQ the amp quite differently to get close to my sound.

Rebel Rocker likes this.
  15. Rebel Rocker

Sep 4, 2017
    This is what I ended up with. It's a great rig that can be used in a lot of different setups IMG_1042aa.

16. DolphinBro

DolphinBro

Feb 19, 2018
    Yep. And I can see why you chose what you did. No doubt, stand alone, each will have it's own personality but they also overlap well so combined should produce an unbroken fuller range.

After you've played with it for a while, I'd be interested in comparison between 112 + 115 versus 112 + 2ea 115. Not so much which is "better" but rather a decent description of the diff. tones. I think what you end up carrying to most gigs will also tell us something.

Also post how you will connect the 3 cabs.

Congrats.