1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mesa boogie 2x10 sounds like ass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jroutensowhat, Jul 23, 2012.

1. jroutensowhat

jroutensowhat

Nov 19, 2011
    the longer i have this diezel 2x10 the more i hate it... '' its all i can carry in the car'' but the mesa 400+ is too much for it..... it really really strains an the mids are awfully farty...
    what 2x10 can handle this amp head and dosnt weigh 85lb?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ain't many, if any, single 210's can handle an amp of that power if you don't keep it turned down some. Sorry to say, but, need more speakers.

Or tell it to stop farting in the car?

:p

Something high excursion, like a fEARful 12/6, AudioKinesis, or Baer cab would handle an amp like that.

3. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    You'll have to go to 2 12's or a fEARful 12/2 like will33 said.

+1 on no farting in the car. LOL

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Could add an Acme to the list. Another one there that can take power. They're lower spl though, so you'd basically have to crank up the amp to get to a similair loudness.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! "I got this tiny cab with this monster tube amp...why is it farting out?"

:D

Sorry man, just joking a little. Unfortunately, the vast majority of companies use power handling ratings based on when the voice coil fries, not when the cab starts to fart out, so you can be forgiven for not knowing the deal. You can usually count on losing half the rated power handling that most companies quote you.

6. +1 My AE112 says 300w on it, so I could theoretically run my 300w tube amp into just it.......
    Alas, no. sometimes I use two of the 112"s & even then I know I could easily make em fart :)
    But, it is fun to run the YBA300 into em & being able to run the amp harder than if I run a big cab.

7. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Since that's all that will fit in your car, you're kinda limited as far as off the shelf stuff - like my answer would be to buy another 210 or a pair of 112 cabs, but a lot of 112 cabs are about the size of a 210 cab! The Avatar 112 uses the same box as their 210. I'm about to build a fEARful 12/6/1 because based on what I've read, they are as loud as a 310 or 410 - and I'm looking for a small, ONE cab solution for most gigs - aren't we all!

8. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    The Hartke Hydrive 1x12's are small, 300 watts, and have switchable impedance to 4 or 8 ohms!
    If I had $800 plus tax lying around tis what I'd do!

400+ is an awesome beast- I just flipped mine over to brand new JJ tubes and I can't turn the master above 2 in my house.