Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Boogie cabs & Compatibility

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I was just curious if anyone uses Mesa Cabs with non-Mesa heads. Right now one of my setups is an Ashdown MAG with a Mesa Diesel cab, it isnt bad but it seems like Mesa doesnt work as well with the growly kind of sound my MAG produces (especially with the funk strings I accidently got- I play metal). I prefer the more low-end SWR workingman's to my Mesa.

Back when I still owned my Ampeg SVT-4, I used it with a Roadready 2x15 a few times, and also with a Powerhouse 1000 and it was killer, far superior (IMO) to the Ampeg 2x15 I usually used.

Anyone know what heads are great with Mesa cabs or which heads are horrible?

2. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I'm pretty happy using an Eden WT800 (hopefully wt800b soon!) and Mesa 1X15 And 2X10. I wanted Eden cabs originally, but got impatient and these were in stock. No regrets though. Worth giving a go!

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I used my 2X10 and 1X15 Powerhouse cabs with an Eden WT-600, a SWR SM-500, and my SWR Studio 220. They sounded good with all of them.

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Same cabs... good taste ;)