1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Boogie PH Cabs for Bass/Drum Rock Duo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KOLINAHR, Oct 1, 2018.

1. KOLINAHR

KOLINAHR

Aug 17, 2013
    Germany
    Hi all,

I am playing bass in a bass-drum duo (www.http://fungiandfoe.bplaced.net/ ). My style is heavily inspired by Les Claypool's early bass recordings. That's why Mesa Boogie has been my choice of gear.

Since I recently bought an awesome 400+, I am now looking for a decent cab.
    The following Powerhouse cabs are available in my region (used): 4x10, 6x10, 2x15
    They are all awesome. This is actually the problem, so that I cannot decide on what to do. (I know it seems to be a luxury problem)

The 6x10 has the most power and "grind", but might be too heavy in the long run.
    However, recently I was gigging an Ampeg fridge and was surprised how easily we could move and transport it.

The 2x15 is quite mighty and round but is also heavy and lacks a bit of the grind (which can be adjusted by the EQ).

The 4x10 ist a good allrounder and the easiest to move.
    Another possibilty would be getting the 4x10 and one of the above and play stereo :D

What do you guys think?

2. I own the 4x10 and as great as it is I would take a 6x10 in a heartbeat.

It just has that bit more grind and bottom end to it than the 4x10 does.

KOLINAHR likes this.
  3. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    Buy two 4X10's, easier to move the two about and you already liked the sound of the fridge.

KOLINAHR likes this.
  4. KOLINAHR

KOLINAHR

Aug 17, 2013
    Germany
    Thank you all :)

5. KOLINAHR

KOLINAHR

Aug 17, 2013
    Germany
    I just noticed, that the Powerhouse cabs as well as the tube amps are "out of production".

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have owned most PH cabs and gigged a various configurations with them from small to large. For low tuned, loud, high gain metal I actually enjoy a single 4x10 pushed by my 400 non-plus. I own two and the full stack is earthquake but I like transporting/running same amount power through a single one. Sometimes I dream about owning the 6x10 and maybe another 400/400+ to drive it, plus a group of d00m musicians and a drummer who plays really slow.

1504975_10153127286468035_8982613456242941565_n.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    KOLINAHR likes this.