1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Boogie Road Ready 4x10 ohm?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Overdrive777, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa/Boogie
    Hi!
    I may be about to buy a used Mesa Boogie Road Ready 4x10 to match my Walkabout.
    The cab is 8 ohm. BUT does anyone know what the speakers are inside the box? 8 or 32 ohm?
    I will be able to make it a 2 ohm cab instead to match my Walkabout better:)

2. The Walkabout is a 4Ω minimum amplifier. It’s not a good idea to go below that. If you do, the amplifier will be in jeopardy and the volume gain insignificant.

Al Kraft likes this.
  3. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    According to many users here on TB it's safe to use it in 2 ohm:)

4. But not according to the people who actually made the unit. Running into 2Ω is eating away at the safety overhead that was built into these amps. I would much rather go by what the manufacturer says than some TB members who may or may not have any technical skills. May I also remind you that if the amplifier fails it’s you who will have to pay for the repair and not some TBer.

Al Kraft likes this.
  5. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Are you thinking of the Subway D-800?

6. If you are really a Mesa endorsee, shouldn't your artist rep be able to set you up and answer your questions ?

Bodeanly likes this.
  7. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I am, but I thought this would be an easy question here:)

8. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    No, I was thinking of the Walkabout. I own the D800 as well but I love the Walkabout even more:)

9. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I did a bit of research, and there certainly are TB members suggesting it handle a 2 ohm load in some older threads I found. However, directly from Mesa..

The WalkAbout delivers a smooth, warm, musical sounding 300 watts into 4 Ohms with hybrid architecture using a 4-stage tube preamp and driver and a mosfet power block we refer to as Simul-State™ Power.

It certainly is an easy question, with an easy answer. The manufacturer says it's rated at 4 ohms, so you should run it at 4 ohms.

If I were you, I'd avoid doing it, and keep this in mind if you do...

10. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ok. Maybe I will look for a 4 ohm instead. Sadly they don´t make the Road Ready cabs anymore...:(

11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    A Road Ready 410? I couldn't even lift a picture of one these days!

My RR 210 and 115 had EV speakers in them and those stupid heavy cabs totally screwed my back.

OK they sounded so good and I kept using them even though I was having issues but prepare for a bad back for life if you get an RR 410.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Those are 8 ohm drivers

We do not recommend the walkabout into a 2 ohm load. It should protect itself ok, but it's not good for the amp.

Al Kraft likes this.
  13. Overdrive777

Overdrive777

May 29, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thank you Agedhorse!
    Ok. Then I will just keep my PH610 (which I really love!!) and maybe looking for a separate road case.

14. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Those Road Ready cabs are tanks. I had a Powerhouse JR and aside from a broken caster that thing was absolutely bulletproof.