1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MESA/BOOGIE Vs. Ampeg??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Guido, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Bass Guido

Bass Guido

Dec 7, 2005
    I'm seriously considering purchasing a Mesa M-Pulse 600 along with their Roadready 1000 (4X10 + 1 15) Base Cabinets. I also like the Ampeg Pro series stuff as well. Any body have any actual experience with these products? Ampeg seems to be much better represented by a dealer network and less costly. :meh:

Thanx

2. Vacant

Vacant

Dec 27, 2004
    I own a mesa/boogie Mpulse 600 and let me tell you that mesa comination woul be outright deadly. Ampeg is for more of a vintage tone, and to be outright not nearly as versatile as the Mpulse 600 is, imho.

I love my mesa hybrid amp

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    FWIW

I own the Mpulse 600 and I did own an SVT-6PRO.

Direct out - eq flat - couldn't tell the difference.

through various cabs I preferred the Mesa sound so I kept it and sold the SVT6.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've used Ampeg SVT-4 with Ampeg 4x10 and Ampeg 2x15. Around that time, I played through an M-Pulse 600 with a Powerhouse 1000 and thought the tone was superior- more hi-fi, which suited the style of music (progressive metal).

I currently used a Mesa Bass 400 through Powerhouse cabinets and love the tone. Powerhouse cabs are a little sharper and punchier than Ampeg cabinets.

Both brands are great. Mesa stuff is more expensive generally, but once in a while you can find nearly new stuff on ebay for a good price.

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Go for the Big Block Titan V12 :bassist:

Get 2 ohm cabs; and feel the power :).