Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MESA/BOOGIE Vs. Ampeg??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Guido, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Bass Guido

Bass Guido

Dec 7, 2005
    I'm seriously considering purchasing a Mesa M-Pulse 600 along with their Roadready 1000 (4X10 + 1 15) Base Cabinets. I also like the Ampeg Pro series stuff as well. Any body have any actual experience with these products? Ampeg seems to be much better represented by a dealer network and less costly. :meh:

Thanx

2. Vacant

Vacant

Dec 27, 2004
    I own a mesa/boogie Mpulse 600 and let me tell you that mesa comination woul be outright deadly. Ampeg is for more of a vintage tone, and to be outright not nearly as versatile as the Mpulse 600 is, imho.

I love my mesa hybrid amp

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    FWIW

I own the Mpulse 600 and I did own an SVT-6PRO.

Direct out - eq flat - couldn't tell the difference.

through various cabs I preferred the Mesa sound so I kept it and sold the SVT6.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've used Ampeg SVT-4 with Ampeg 4x10 and Ampeg 2x15. Around that time, I played through an M-Pulse 600 with a Powerhouse 1000 and thought the tone was superior- more hi-fi, which suited the style of music (progressive metal).

I currently used a Mesa Bass 400 through Powerhouse cabinets and love the tone. Powerhouse cabs are a little sharper and punchier than Ampeg cabinets.

Both brands are great. Mesa stuff is more expensive generally, but once in a while you can find nearly new stuff on ebay for a good price.

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Go for the Big Block Titan V12 :bassist:

Get 2 ohm cabs; and feel the power :).