1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Mega-thread part Four!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I'm in. Couldn't get into the four figure posts at the last thread, but what the hell....

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    werd;)

4. MisterBassie

MisterBassie

Sep 1, 2005
    Get 2 more

5. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I am happy with my Mesa Buster, but this Dang thread makes me want to look into a Walkabout. Chef's black face in headcase is freaking awesome! (Is that a custom deal, or can you order it strait from Mesa that way?)
    The Walkabout has more ampeg like grind than the buster from what I understand.
    I bet it would sound great with my two Mesa Power House 15s.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    the vintage headcase is a stock item from mesa.

7. stingray56funk

stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Vintage Headcase is the way to go!!! Protect that baby walkabout and make her look so nice!

8. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Vintage Headcase GAS starting to build!

9. stingray56funk

stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'll hit this thread later with my slick gig setup of Walkabout in V.Headcase on top of Aguilar DB112 on top of a hardshell kick drum case. Just wait until I get off work...GAS ATTACK!

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Vintage headcase rundown:
    decent-ish protection...the amp is recessed inside on both sides.

so far, mine has held up well to semi-cautious treatment, loading in and out etc.

it's heavy, kinda. if you bought your walkabout as a semi-lightweight head, the headcase more or less kills that.

but, it looks dang good, and has mucho room around all sides to ensure proper venting/cooling. this is important to me as i do run at 2 ohms, often.

newwalkabout.jpg

mine came as a package deal with the carry bag as well. the carry bag is a nice enough piece, but a tight fit for the head, and it doesn't open in the back, so, you do have to take it in and out. I used the carry bag for my F1 til I sold it, now I use it for charts, books, cable and etceteras.

walkaboutracked.jpg

the headcase is expensive, but, not too much more than any other high quality rack, and way pimper than any skb...and smaller than walkabout+rack ears in a standard 19" racl.
    the carry bag is a bargain, at about $30.

11. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    I normally split time with my WA head installed either in a Scout 12 (4 ohm) cab or sitting atop a PH212 (8 ohm) cab. Recently I got a deal on a PH210 (8 ohm) cab, so it's going to be fun working it into the equation. The 210 sounds great standalone, sounds awesome paired with the 212. Whatever the cab mix, one thing in common is the WA head. Versatility, thy name is Walkabout.

Dan

12. Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Jan 19, 2007
    Mid Michigan
    Hello all! Just picked up a new Walkabout Scout 12 from GC here in Boston. I really wanted to give my moneys to a more reputable dealer, but needed to pick it up soon, as I recently sold my last rig to cover boring but necessary "life" stuff, and had a gig rapidly approaching.

They didn't give me an owners manual with it at GC. Obviously, I know how to work an amp, but am just curious if you veteran WAer's have any advice on dialing in questionable rooms.

13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    In the Justin Meldal-Johnsen forum there was a thread asking how to get the bass tone from this video:

http://vimeo.com/10995672

I actually got extremely close by cranking the gain on the Walkabout and adjusting the EQ a bit.

Not a tone I'd use a whole lot but it sounds great in the right circumstance.

One of my fears with the Walkabout was that it might not be all that versatile. For instance, I dug the Orange Terror Bass but it really has one tone and a limited EQ. The WB on the other hand has a surprisingly powerful EQ section which I've spent a ton of time fiddling with. The more I play with it the happier I am with this head.

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Funny thing about the Buster vs. the Walkabout- the WA actually sounds "tubier" than the all tube Buster does. I have one of each, great pair of amps.

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hey all;
    in response to recent posts:

I've never messed with a Buster. I'd love too. Cleaner is generally better for me.

about a walkabout manual:
    you can download that super easy from the mesa boogie website.
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

whether I'm playing electric or DB, my walkabout setup seldom varies from:
    input gain at noon
    bass straight up
    mids at 10-11 oclock

para EQ:
    bass set at 50hz, trimmed some
    mids set at 400hz, trimmed a tiny bit
    treble set at 2khz, boosted a tad

treble at about 11 oclock.

about the only change i make by room or by instrument is how much 50hz i'm trimming to keep it "fat, but tight."

master volume set as needed.

16. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    I like it! Love the song redo...

Want to share your settings?

17. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I've got a Buster, and live 2.5 hours away. Perhaps we should have a "gear day" sometime.

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    i'd like that a lot, thx for the invite!

19. stingray56funk

stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    We have pretty much the exact same eq...i trim bass at 40ish hz and keep treble set at 2khz at noon. :D Great minds think a like!

20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'd have to check at home to be 100% sure but in general it was:

cranked gain (around 4 o'clock), slight bass boost, slight treble cut, passive mids rolled back, parametric bass boost around 80 Hz, active mids boosted with the EQ point set fairly low, parametric treble cut (at around 2 KHz) and playing near the neck with my Fender Jazz.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.