Mesa-Boogie Walkabout

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by B. Graham, Aug 4, 2004.

1. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I haven't found on to try out yet, but I've been thinking about one of these for the big bass.

Anyone tried the new Boogie Walkabout?
  2. You can't go wrong with it. Punchy, clean, LOUD, especially for 300 Watts. I like it a lot.
  3. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Cool. Now it's just a matter of the budget. Thanks.
  4. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    Do a search and you will find all my posts praising my Walkabout :)
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've tried both the Walkabout head and 1x12" Scout combo, and while I thought that they had good tone, I felt that they made too much mechanical noise to work in the situations where I'd want a small, light, portable amp--especially for DB. Both the head and combo had noisy fans that run continuously and the combo had an assortment of buzzes and rattles that were very noticeable at the volume I'd use an amp like this at.

I do a lot of playing and recording in small to medium rooms where I'm the only amplified instrument and those extra noises drive me (and the other musicians) crazy. I use an EA Wizzy 112 cab driven by either an old GK 400RB (no fan) or an Eden WT-400 (reasonably quiet fan only comes on at high volumes).
  6. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I use to have a walkabout. Good clean punchy tone, but I know what you mean about the extra noise. I think they are overpriced for what they are.

I took mine back after a 29 day try out.

I just received a letter from mesa boogie ( I guess they don't know I didn't keep there amp) stating that there have been some issues with some of the walkabouts and the combos. Something about a problem in the high frequencies that can cause tweeter failure or something to that effect. They wanted me to take it in under the warranty and have it serviced.
  7. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I have only used my Scout in live settings for rock, jazz, and P&W, with electric basses and I love it for that but I couldn't say for DB or recording :meh: