Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa/Boogie

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warwick, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Warwick

Warwick

Dec 17, 2003
    I was looking at getting a m-pulse 600 head with a 4X10 and 1X15 under it and was wondering if you would get more of a range of sound then going with a big stack? Also how would something like that compare to a Ampeg stack which I have never played? Thanks Jason

2. Warwick

Warwick

Dec 17, 2003
    Could anyone please help?

3. Ampeg is generally a warmer, more old school tone. Mesa Boogie is more of a crisper, hi-fi kind of sound. The M-Pulse is a little warmer than the normal.

By stack, I assume you mean a 410 and a 115, right?

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    a 4x10 and a 1x15 will give you a pretty damn wide sound spectrum. anything else IMO would just be overkill...

what you have described there is a beautiful setup.

5. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I second what smash said.

the M 600 is brighter and rounder than ampeg.

6. Warwick

Warwick

Dec 17, 2003
    Why does mesa/boogie not have a area where a store can lower its price some because with SWR the store was gonna make a deal if I paid with cash and they said with Mesa that sticker price is final?

7. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Yeah, I've noticed that too.. They are more than willing to haggle with SWR, but are concrete on Mesa prices... must be less profit on the mesas or something crazy like that.

-Ted

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes there is less profit for the store on Mesa gear. They look at it this way: if they did the same MSRP game as everybody else, the retail price on a 400+ would be around $2600. They are hand-built, boutique amps, and usually those are priced pretty high. I think Boogies are a bargain for what they ask for them.

9. Stores aren't allowed to change Mesa prices. They are the same everywhere you shop.

10. Warwick

Warwick

Dec 17, 2003
    I finally played a ampeg svt pro 2 head and a 8X10 cabinet and was wondering if you also though the mesa had more of a punchy kind of sound? I thought it was more of a Bam sound with the bass and it came through strong.