Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Diesel vs. EBS ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Mar 22, 2004.

Mesa or EBS

Poll closed Apr 5, 2004.
  1. Mesa 1x15 and 2x10

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. EBS 4x10

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ok this is my situation. I need a new rig now.
    I´ve located a used EBS 410 and a used Mesa Diesel 2x10 and 1x15 sold as a piar. The Mesa cabs cost quite a bit more but are in a store where I can split the payment for a year.

Which of the speakers would you get and why? I play only 4-strings in a moderatly loud alt pop band. Both these cabs sound great to me in the stores.

2. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    I play the EBS 410 and have heard some Mesa Cabs. It depends on the sound you are for. The EBS cab is brighter with a tight bottom end and incredible punchy mids. Mesa Cabs sound usually deeper and fatter. It's a matter of taste.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. Which one will cut through a dense stage mix best?
    We have got tree guitarists, one keyboardist and a drummer.

4. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    If I were you, i should take the 1*15 and 2*10 combination in EBS cabs!!!
    Speakers are really great compared to mesa ones.
    Best cabs ever!!!!

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Though EBS's are very nice, Mesa's with EV's are deadly...

~S~

6. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Get both then :D

7. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    What I really like on the EBS 410 is, that it is tuned for stage use. If you have a very dry (accustically) rehearsal room you will have to crank the bass knob a bit. On stage you get bass from the PA, monitors, coupling stage elements. All the things above enhance the bass frequencies. This could end in a very muddy stage sound if the bass sound from your rig is not tight enough. With the 410 you will get an incredible good sound that will cut through even at a very low volume level. There is no need for cranking the amp if you go through a PA or at club gigs (but you can 800W RMS/ 1600W Peak; 103 dB/1W). If you play always without PA you may consider the Mesa cabs for a deeper tone and low end projection. On the other hand I have always to turn down the volume because my sound gets bigger and louder with the distance. Tja...

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks a lot!
    Which one do you think will be easiest to move?
    The diesel cabs are heavy, right? But the load is devided into two boxes with that alternative. That also makes it bulkier.
    Leaning towards the EBS at the moment.

9. I had both setups and both are excellent.
    The Diesels are easier to move. The 15' is not that heavy but the 2x10 (at least the one I had) was.

It really depends on what style you play. I would go for the Mesa cabs, easier to move and the tonal range is a little wider than the EBS (IMO).

:bassist:

10. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What kind of music do/did you play on them?
    I play mostly music like Springsteen, Wilco, REM...