Mesa M-2000 owners...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cougar207, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    Well, I just joined the Mesa club. My Ashdown Mag300 died this weekend for the second time so I figured it was a good time to exercise my GAS. So, I found a good deal on an M2000 on eBay and went for it. :hyper:

I went through 12 pages of threads but couldnt find any recommendations on settings. I usually leave my eq flat with a little mid boost sometimes. What setting of compression, gain, mix, ect. on each channel have you found useful? Anything I should know about the amp?

Thanks for the input,
  2. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
  3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I just got a M-2K last week, really like it. The pdf manual (above link) is a great place to start. There are some recomended settings there as well.

There's so many ways to set this amp...a tweaker's dream. For now, I'm using the mix mode with nice results, but I have a LOT more exploring to do.

I use a comp pedal and keep the M-2000 comps switched off.

When I first fired it up I had the rear select knob set wrong. That knob is crucial. Once I figured out the mode selections, the true power and tone were unleashed.

Have'nt tried the footswitch yet, should be an adventure in itself.
  4. If you can get your hands on BP backissues, there's a very nice review of the M2000 which actually lists the center frequencies of the rotary tone controls, bright switches, etc.

I too found that blending both channels sounded much, much better than either channel on its own. I also found the compressors very touchy and hard to use, and usually left them off. Great sounding amp.... what's not to like about an amp that has six treble controls :eek: (two bright switches, two rotary shelving, and two graphic EQ's).

In the end, I found that I pretty much had the darn thing set relatively flat, with a little treble boost on the SS side. It sounded great, but I ended up swapping it out for a Thunderfunk550 due to the simplicity and weight, etc.

If anyone's interested in one of these, mine is on Dave's Thunderfunk website. It was purchased new just a few years ago, and is one of the last ones to roll off the line at Mesa. It has very little playing time on it, and is literally in 'like new' condition. There were lot's of reliability problems with these heads in their earlier production runs, but the later built models are solid as a rock, from what I understand.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't use the compressors, either. I like the idea, but in application, it just seems to sound better with them off. The ability to blend the SS and tube (especially overdriven tube) sounds is really nice, IMHO, and if you have the footswitch, then this feature becomes even better (IME). The M-2000 has a nice, stout output section as well! :bassist:

Great score!

6. Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    Thanks for the replies. KJung do you know about how long ago that was published? I'm guessing it was at least 5 years would be some good info to know.