1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Powerhouse 212 8 ohm or 4 ohm?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theholeinthings, Sep 27, 2013.

1. I'm thinking about getting a Mesa Powerhouse 212 but I can't decide if I want the 8 ohm or the 4 ohm. I don't really think I will be getting another cab because I don't want to haul around that much gear, but I guess I could alway change my mind down the road. My question is how much different will the 8 ohm sound from the 4 ohm? Will there be a noticable diffence in power and volume between the two? Also, I'm using a Gallien Krueger 800RB which I've heard sounds great running at 4 ohms but I've never had the opportunity because I'm currently using an SVT115EN. Thanks in advance.

2. I'd go with the 8 ohm because you never know when you'll gas for a 2nd one. Also, I run a GK 1001 RB II and it sounds great at either 4 or 8 ohms.

3. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    8 ohm

4. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Go for the 8. Most amps nowadays can go down to 2 ohms no problem but you won't get much volume difference in the 8 to 4 ohm cab to warrant going a 4. Both of mine at 8 ohms, even though my M6 and most all Mesas can do 2.

5. "Most" amps these days do NOT do 2 ohms, most are 4 ohm minimum.

6. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Ones that are any good do.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    8-ohm should be fine.

With a good head going into a fairly big quality cab like that you shouldnt have volume issues in a typical band/live setting. If you do run into issues, I'd be looking at EQ approaches (cut lows, raise master) before worry about power.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Normally, I would say, ONLY get the 4ohm IF you are absolutely, 100%, without a doubt certain you will never need to play any louder than that 1 cab is...or...you play a tube amp that does not have an 8ohm tap.

That said, with your 800rb, you do have the option of running one more 8ohm cab off the 100 watt amp running everything full range (not biamped), so....maybe not such a big deal.

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I have two "Budget" amps that both go down to 2 ohm.

@OP if you have an amp that goes down to 2 ohms then get the 4 ohm Cab. If not get the 8 Ohm for when you get another cab.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Ordinarily I would always advise going for the 8-ohm version. And if there's any chance that you'll be trading up for a higher-powered head (i.e. 700RB-II, 1001RB-II, etc.), then you should definitely go for the 8-ohm version.

But the 800RB really doesn't have much headroom at all @ 8 ohms, and would undoubtedly crank much better @ 4 ohms. If you're certain that you'll be sticking with the 800RB, then definitely get the Powerhouse 2x12 in 4 ohms. If you need to get significantly louder, then definitely get the 8-ohm version, along with a higher-powered amp head - and a second Powerhouse 2x12. :meh:

MM

11. I never had any trouble with a 215 8 ohm cab while running the 800RB.

12. elamenopee

elamenopee Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Fraser, MI
    I run a M9 with a 2x12 @ 4 ohms.
    Also played with a harding drummer and 2 loud guitarists. Thank God for earplugs.
    Never had the amps master volume past 9 o'clock.
    Good stuff.
    You more than likely will have to special order a 4 ohm and it may take 2 months,
    but in my opinion, well worth the wait.

13. Well after the first several comments, I was certain I would get the 8 ohm but after these last few comments I'm once again torn between the 4 or 8 ohm. Not sure what I will do...

14. I'll repeat this again. The 215 was an old inefficient cab and I still didn't have trouble with 2 to 3 guitars in the bands (and drummer of course). ;) I did get to 11:00 on the "low master" once at an outside gig.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    OP, most amps are 4 ohms minimum, so go with the 8 ohm cab and play it safe.