1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa prodigy/strategy vs. Ampeg SVT Cl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rodrigues, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Mesa strategy

6.8%
  2. Mesa prodigy

10.8%
  3. Ampeg Cl

29.7%
  4. Orange Ad 200

4.1%
  5. Fender Bassmann 100/135

1.4%
  6. Matamp GT 200

2.7%
  7. Hiwatt 200

1.4%
  8. Ampeg V4B

23.0%
  9. Ampeg solid state

2.7%
  10. Mesa solid state

6.8%
  11. Fender Superbassman 300

9.5%
  12. Ampeg B15

6.8%
  13. Orange solid state

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Mesa 400+

5.4%
  15. Sadowsky SA200

2.7%
  16. Darkglass microtubes 900

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Aguilar DB680/728

4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rodrigues

Rodrigues

May 20, 2016
    Hamburg
    Its funny.
    We all have our own different taste, but it gets back to the sound of an ampeg.

Some people prefer a more modern sound than that of an ampeg, others a lightweight head which sounds like SVT.

I learned from this thread that there is nothing that can go wrong when you go with ampeg and it works in every Situation.
    Ampeg rules!

JimmyM, TC.65 and Funkabilly like this.
  2. Calexia13

Calexia13

May 22, 2007
    I think that the mesa prodigy gets a bum rap, because it's not apparent initially how to use this amp, bear with me.....
    If I want a bit of tube fur or grind my initial instinct with a tube amp is to raise the gain until this happens, but with this amp, that setting sounds like crap, it does not overdrive in a good way. However, if you put it into half power mode, dime the volume and bring up the gain about half way then I get a very good driven tone. I use it with my mesa walkabout scout and the scout already is a middy cab, so I use setting 2 or 4 and cut the mids, still has plenty of mids and does not sound harsh. I use a Lakland decade bass with it. In case you are wondering I prefer to use mid knob settings 1,2,4. I read an earlier post where a guy was complaining that there were no mids on the amp, which I find perplexing how his tone is muddy. Anyway, that's my contribution.

Cheers,

Ed

Rodrigues and mesaplayer83 like this.
  3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Wish I would have tried that when I had a chance to check out the Prodigy. I really didn’t like it despite having high hopes for tube tone in an amp that wasn’t crazy heavy. Clean then DS-1 distortion pedal. Nothing in between.

Rodrigues likes this.
  4. andykeating

andykeating

Oct 5, 2016
    Manchester
    I adore my SVT-CL. In my most humble opinion, the Ampeg sound is the sound of the electric bass.

I've had some good amps since I've been playing, but all roads lead to Ampeg.