Mesa Walkabout gain is crushing loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sleevey55, Jan 9, 2018.

1. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    I just got a used silver face with maroon accents Walkabout head, has only 1/4 on the back. Anyways, with everything flat and the gain at 9 and master at 9 its stupid loud, I mean like 800 watts loud. It is super sensitive to me touching the strings ect. It picks up everything I do like the gain is cranked all the way. I can turn it up to half and its just silly loud and it reproduces every little string touch or slide....its not right, theres no way this head is this loud at 300 watts. What could be the issue? Anyone heard of this? Im running it into a 4ohm cab, a brand new GK412. This Mesa is WAY louder than my other bigger heads. What could be the deal????

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! It's freaky isn't it?

I run my gain about there and in church the other day I could barely turn the volume on at all! Literally about 10 degrees of turn from completely off and I was all set. I had a couple of guys come over to verify. They were stunned. And I was covering the room with my rig! (Ice storm caused us to cancel service so we just did it Facebook live.)

I was running it with an Epifani UL410.

Just for fun I turned it to about two or three and it was ludicrous loud.

Short version? There's no rule that says you have to run the volume on 9. Turn the sucker down and enjoy. :thumbsup:

Aqualung60, murphy and sleevey55 like this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Good question...I think this is the correct manual:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/media/User Manuals/WalkAbout.pdf

You're using the active input, correct? Can you post a pic of the control panel...I'd like to see the current settings while reading the manual. BTW, the "Mid" is boost only so the flattest response would be fully CCW.

Riis

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  4. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana

Attached Files:

1BassDreamer likes this.
  5. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Active yes, my basses I’m currently using are active

6. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Ok cool, i see the mid is passive.......now the kiddos are going to be so I cant check it but as you can see, I had it up where I would normally play around at on other amps..........thanks for pointing that out Zoober! Ill run it again tomorrow. The sensitivity I was experiencing explains the mids cranked lol. However, for the rated 300 Watts this thinmg supposedly puts out, its still pretty unbelieveable. I was expecting a nice tone but gutless on power. Not at all the case. Ive only ran it briefly through my GK412. Tomorrow I'll try her again then put it through my Berg and Aggie cabs. Thanks and Ill be in touch to let you know what I find. Respect.

7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'd un-do all the boosts with emphasis on the tube section. After reading the manual, I'd aim for goosing the gain to get some tube saturation and then compensate by attenuating among the various EQ options.

Riis

DavC and sleevey55 like this.
  8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    its 300w @ 4ohms, but will run at 2ohms just fine .. and at 2ohms it delivers about 500w.
    Stupidly great sounding amp through just about any cab I have used with it.
    enjoy!

two fingers and sleevey55 like this.
  9. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    I downloaded the manual....Thanks!!!

Zooberwerx likes this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I run my gain just under breakup. Just let your EARS take you where you want to go with this amp. The para mids section takes a while to figure out. But once you do it is a powerful tool.

And, as I understand it (feel free to correct me somebody), a passive tone control (be it on a bass or an amp) is cut only. In other words, wide open is flat. But that's just semantics.

Enjoy your amp. They truly are special in my view.

joebar likes this.
  11. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I work along the premise of "cut only" when it comes to para EQ's. Do a boost & sweep and attenuate the offending frequencies. There's no reason the Walkabout can't be adjusted to offer a realistic nominal volume sweep.

Riis

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Be thing to remember about some "passive mid" circuits is that there may be make-up gain involved which makes it appear to behave differently. That is the case of the WA.

There is a lot of available boost/cut in the parametric eq bands, I strongly recommend starting with these eq levels flat 12:00)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    two fingers, Dan55 and sleevey55 like this.
  13. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    With a P Bass, I normally run mine with all EQ at noon (12 o'clock) but adjust the mid control between 10 and 12 according to what the song calls for. Gain usually stays around 11 with master used for volume control. YMMV.

Dan

two fingers and sleevey55 like this.
  14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah this. It takes some getting used to, but if you learn those para mids the Walkabout is your new best friend. Start neutral and boost/cut as needed. Use it like black pepper. Start with a little and work your way up.

sleevey55 likes this.
  15. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    A bass amp that's too loud?!?! That's not a bug, that's a feature!

16. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I have two (Red and Black face) and alternate them with gigs. Run them through 2 12 Radiator Scouts. This rig has never failed to serve me well. Still haven't pulled the trigger on the Subway because of how satisfied I am.

17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    1515627167030-1851870608.jpg You should hear this set up
    minus the GK but the little GK sounds killer also thru these cabs!!! I've been on the fence on getting the D800 but I really don't think I need it and I don't know if it sounds as good as the Walkabout..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    joebar and chaosMK like this.
  18. SBrown

SBrown

Dec 5, 2008
    Auburn, CA
    I've owned a blackface Walkabout for about a year now, and I'm so happy I gave up the big iron. I prefer it most times over my Mesa 400 with KT-88's. I play it through 1 or 2(as needed) 1x15's with Eminence 3015's. I finally got a chance to do a recording session with it, and through the Walkabout DI, I got the best bass tone I have ever recorded. I've tried all kinds of other DI's, mic'ed cabs, etc., but that Walkabout DI just nailed it on my old P-bass with steel rounds. Do yourselves a favor and give the DI a try into FOH or recording. Amazing!

chaosMK likes this.
  19. It'll work great just as a terrific sounding DI too.

SBrown likes this.
  20. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Mesa=U.S.A. Watts (ie: big, meaty, real watts)
    Alot of others, including almost all Asian built amps= Those 'other' watts.
    Behringer= Little bitty pale green faded watts.

rickdog likes this.
  21. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    WA’s love coneage
    I’m not surprised a 4 12 wakes up that head.
    The mid knob is passive and cut- only; start with it full open.
    Best Bass amp ever

22. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 19, 2022