Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa Walkabout Scout

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mojo-Man, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    After reading about this amp, here on TB.
    I bought one.
    What a fine amp.
    Just what I was looking for.
    Big bottom. tight, lots of head room.
    300 watts, plenty loud for my gigs.
    Great EQ, eazy on the back.
    Highly recommend.

2. Which speaker size did you get? I have a WalkAbout with a 2x10" cabinet and have been considering selling the cab. and getting the Scout cab with a 12".

3. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I have the Scout with the 12 and it's a very impressive little package. Nice bottom, with some detail in the middle. The gain knob is the most important one on the head, taking your tone from a bit clinical through very sweet at about the 12:00 mark up through grunty and raw.

They're a nice combination, and you can easily play gigs in smaller venues with it, no questions asked. Highly recommended.

4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

+1 on the Scout combo.

I also have the 12" 4 ohm version for about almost 2 years.and its a very nice sounding amp...

I just had the recall taken care on the Walkabout head so all is good.

5. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I actually just sold my Walkabout...the amp I had right before it was a Walter Woods Ultra, and to me, I really prefer the sound of the Ultra over the Walkabout. I ended up getting a brand new Eden Wt330, and it's all solid state, like the WWU. I played 3 services at my church this morning, and I am freaked out about how good my tone was. My new amp of doom! I also used the house sound system through the DI. The soundman has been doing sound since the early 80s, and is also a bass player. He came up after the first service with his eyes bugged out asking what I did to my tone! Incredibly quick responding amp...much moreso than my Mesa. The Mesa does sound great....I think it would be a killer combo in someone else's hands. Much of what I do is very fast finger-oriented funk, and the faster response I felt I got with the Eden seemed to be a better match.

For what it's worth, I truly dug the girthy low-end and flexibility of the eq of the Mesa.

6. Welcome to the real world.. :D
    I agree with Walkabout has little lack of quick response. But it is still good combo though. :smug:

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    How much do the scout combo's go for over in the US?

8. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I have no idea what you're trying to say...please clarify your statement.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I have the 12" speaker.

10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

A Scout runs about $1100. dollars plus tax and freight charges.

I did notice a huge difference in sound when placing the amp on a tiled floor vs a carpet. The passive radiator is on the bottom of the cab and to me it seem like the carpet muddys up the sound a bit. The tile gives it some brightness..

11. Woops, my first line is cogratulate to have Walkabout scout which I also have, & sencond line is actually replied what you said. Sorry about confusion. :(

12. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    Yea, I played a scout at the store and absolutely LOVED it. Sooooo muuuuuch punnnnnch. Feels like someone taking a sledge to your chest. Though I find it to be highly overpriced. The head only goes for about 500 new, and no 112 cab is worth 600. :meh: But sound wise it is a 10 for sure :)

13. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    57 pbass makes a great point. If the venue I'm playing at has a carpeted floor, I take a little piece of wood with me so the passive radiator has something to bounce off of. It just has to be about the same size as the footprint of the Scout. 1" thick plywood works fine. On a hard floor, it's wonderful.

14. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I have the walkabout scout "12. It is a great combo that I find myself using more and more at gigs. It is great for stage monitoring and then DI out to the house PA system for the rest. It really helps my back. :)

One question for fellow Walkabout Scout owners. The manual says it has a pre/post preamp switch but there is none on the actual unit. Is the DI signal hardwired for pre or post preamp?

15. I asked this to Benjamin who works Mesa & he told Walkabout head goes only post. That's disappointed me but it sounds quite good though.
    I brought my head - yes only head :cool: - to my church last Friday. My church set up is GK 400 RB 4 with Epi 2-10 NYC, I played with Mesa + Epi = warm, fat, focused than GK.
    I also agree with floor thing. My apartment is carpeted floor and it makes boomy bottom sound.

16. $500??? Where are you shopping? Last I saw they were going for about $799. The cheapest I've seen was a floor demo for $599....and the moron wouldn't take a SR5 in trade.

Mike

17. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    GC just cleared them out for $480.

18. Bah. The local GC here only had the one and it went for $599. If the one in your area still has one, please let me know.

Mike

19. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I bought a mint Walkabout Scout unit (12" model) from my local guitar shop for $695 about a year ago. They had another one on he floor about a month ago for $750. While they are sometimes hard to come by, finding one used will save you some major dough. I love mine BTW.....

20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Jacochops,
    What a coincidence! I contacted you about purchasing the Mesa Walkabout and you had just sold it that day. I was looking for a small head that I could leave at church so I wouldn't have to carry 2 basses and my Thunderfunk head from the parking lot every time I played (I have to walk about 100 yards each trip from my truck). I was looking for another Walkabout on Ebay when I found a music store that had several discontinued Eden WT330's. Eden was my other choice so I ordered an Eden WT330 instead. Couldn't beat the price either. It should be here Wednesday. Good to hear you're liking the amp.