Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meshell Ndegeocello's Current Bassist!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Oct 31, 2003.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Last Night (10/30) I saw the Soulive/Meshell Ndegeocello gig at the Variety Playhouse in L5P section of ATL. (BTW, Soulive was amazing!) The Bassist that Meshell had to back her up was incredible. I have no idea who he was, but he looked a little like Busta Rhymes (w/pigtails) and he played a Marcus Fender Sig-model. Now I'm gassing for a MM fender 4.

Meshell played a little here and there... Sometimes just to start the tune out and then the other bassist would pick up the groove and they would be off...

Has anyone else caught this tour of theirs?... OR was at the Variety Playhouse last night?

2. i caught the show in boston......me'shell blew me away. how about those reggae grooves? The drummer I know has played with kenny garrett. I got into her show a lot more than soulive and i went for soulive in the first place. they didn't seem as on as they normally are. was art neville's son with soulive when you seen them?

3. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah Ivan Neville was on tour with them... He also was playing Rhodes and singing, man he has a great voice!!!

The Bassist and the drummer from Meshell Ndegeocello's group started out with hardest reggae grooves then she came out on stage. The bassist was doing some cool right hand percussion on that MM fender jazz, really bright and super tight with the drummer.

I was also there to see Soulive (missed donnie's gig), but they sounded alot like what they usually do, which is great... but after seeing them so many times, I needed a little more.

Meshell really became the high point of the gig for me.

Do you know what the drummer and Bassist's name is?

Where in Boston did you see them? Harpers Ferry, Paradise, Avalon, Fleet?

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i missed MeShell in austin last weekend. I had a gig :) :(

the only good news is that i did see Oteil the weekend before

5. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Oteil is good news.

How was it?

Was it with the Peace makers? Tell us about it. Or is it in another thread?

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    he was scary.

there wasn't one song that i didn't like. he is incredibly funky. his whole band was very, very, tight. not one mess up!

he had the drummer and guitar player from his latest peacemakers album along with another keyboard player.

oteil was using a fodera 6, ampeg and three pedals:

mxr auto q (i had to go out and buy the following week)

boss octave

boss reverb

the main thing that hit me was that none of his albums or ARU albums were as funky as this concert.

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

NJL,

Great report... I haven't caught his group for a while... Actually I think that the last one I caught here in ATL was at the BrandyHouse and his Brother was on organ and Flute... Man, we all think Oteil is great, wait to you hear Kofi's phrasing and Solo-ing ability !!!

Was this the Fodera that Oteil was playing at that gig?

[​IMG]

I saw a gig a while back where the band opening up for Oteil was this Bass and acoustic guitar singing duo (pretty good for a couple of really young cats), Oteil asked if he could sit in on drums... He is an awesome drummer too!!!

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that's the bass!