Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Meshell Ndegeochello

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by heath_the_great, May 5, 2005.

1. first off...how awesome is she? :D
    me luuurrrvveee meshell

and, whats the go with this spirit of music sextet she's with now.....from what i read a week or two ago and in memory its some sort of funk/fusion/hip hop kinda deal and they're having some trouble finding a record label to release their album or sumfin...any news? clips? or whatever....id love to hear this

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im not sure if this is the same group, but here is a cool video of her at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 2004. (Warning 163MBs, but its the whole set)

MeShell NdegeOcello - Montreux Jazz Festival

And BTW, Ndegeocello (no H). Pronouced N-Day-Gay-O-Cello, meaning Free as a Bird in swahili. Just posting that for everyone else's benifit since a lot of folks seem to pronouce it wrong lol.

3. soz...i havent slept for over 24 hours.....good nite clubbin..lol..but hmmmm..might have ta wait till im on a broadband pc to get that....but thanks man...ive havent got much on the video side of meshell...i shall definately get that...i jsut finished downloading jaco live under the sky 84....plyaing the chicken

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Spirit of Music CD was ready for release about a year ago but the US label that was going to put it out (Verve) backed out at the last minute. Sunnyside will finally release it here this summer.

It has been released overseas, you can find import copies for about $30. I'll wait, thank you.

5. V talented player!! MeShell is one of the very few bassists who I instantly recognise when she plays!

6. you know, i find that funny, cos she's trying to not get that when people hear her play they dont recognise its her......but i love her jazz's

7. all I've got is her 2nd record 'Peace Beyond Passion', but that's enough for me to say...

she rocks!!

Great tone and feel. An extremely funky player.

8. that was the first album of hers i got, then i got comfort woman a while ago, wasnt really into then, but its finally starting to grow on me.....but i got cookie not long and thats definately my favourite album...

i downloaded that spirit of music at college today, and i watched a little of it, gotta wait for a mate to put it on cd for me, but dayum...i loved it