Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

meshell ngdecello--should I go see her?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by watspan, Jun 1, 2005.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Sorry if i've butchered the spelling! She's coming to town this weekend as a headliner to our jass festival--I don't have any of her recordings and have only seen her on gov't mules Rising low DVD. should I be checking her out? anybody know what type of group she is out with currently? I love jazz and funk, among other styles.

2. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    yes, you should definately check her out. I'd say she's among the grooviest cats out there. And if you're into jazz n funk I promise you won't leave dissatisfied.

3. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I haven't heard her latest, but the two me'shell CDs I've heard are awesome. She plays with a great groove, and she writes interesting music and has a good voice too. She's not just a great bassist, she's an all-around great musical talent.

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    saw her with Soulive and Donnie when they were here... man, what a great show. One of the best I've seen in a long while.

5. kidcharlemagne

kidcharlemagne

Mar 23, 2005
    London
    I'd say yes, definitely go see her - but with one tiny reservation. The one time I saw her play live, here at the Jazz Cafe in London just after she released the Cookie album, I came away disappointed. Turns out that Meshell can't sing and play bass at the same time - at least I guess this was the explanation. So she had another bass player onstage. He was a great player in his own right, but Meshell's got such a distinctive style and tone that to hear anybody else playing those fantastic basslines just doesn't quite cut it. Meshell had her Jazz strapped on, played some fills here and there and started off a couple of songs, but whenever the singing sections started up, the other bassist took over.

Was this just a one-off? Am I right in thinking that Meshell can't sing and play at the same time? (that's not a criticism - I'm the same way - can't get my mouth to work independently of my fingers or something . . .).

Just my tuppence. Still enjoyed the show - just wasn't quite what I expected.

K.

6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    definitly go! even if she doesnt play all the ime her singing is worth it too!

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    No kidcharlemagne, not a one of. I saw her a couple of years back in here in NYC at The Knitting Factory, sold out, standing room only. Her rig was a monstrous stack, 4 4x10's, not sure what was powering it all and she had a young cat playing bass who was a decent player. I was in the balcony and kind of sitting on the floor and couldn't really see her, but could always tell when she was playing because her slap sound was so clean and large, way different from the young cat she had playing with her.

To the OP, yeah you should go and I recommend that you should go to any show where a pro is playing because there is a lot to get inspired about and learn just by watching and listening.

8. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!
    I took my ex girlfiriend with me last time i went.. who happens to be a die hard prince fan! And she LOVED the concert! As a bassist u wont be dissapointed i promise! She grooves like crazy!!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    it would be a shame to pass it up!
    M

9. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    As far as I remember, she always toured with a second bass player. Not as unusual as you would think, but yeah, I probably would be a bit bummed out as well as I do love her playing. However, it's probably for the greater good of the show. She's stated in past interviews that she has had some difficulty playing and rapping at the same time, not sure about playing and singing. I also remember reading in an interview, around the time she was touring about the release of her bitter CD, that she was getting better at it but still had the second bass player on tour with her.

Anyways, yes definitely check her out and let us know how the show was.

10. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    No doubt an extremely talented artist but her show lastnight in Chicago ( at the Parkwest) was a let down:
    Her loyal following thought she would be singing...we found out just prior to her stage entrance that the show would be "music only".
    She walked up to the mike and apologized for the misunderstanding but hoped all would enjoy what she was about to give.
    Her traditional fans copped an attitude and rightly so.
    The rest of us enjoyed her jazz sets but something was not quite right allnight...she and the drummer held a couple of one-on-one's during the show to get the tempo right....The mix at the Parkwest was muddy and her Fender jb was muddy the whole night...(not her fault,i'm sure).
    She walked off the stage twice during her performance...the first time i thought she wasn't coming back.
    This was my first Meshell experience.....Most of the people at our table talked about her history of mood swings.
    I think the downside to this is that she didn't address the changes in the show or prior to ticket purchases.
    One of her sax men came by our table and spoke with a fellow musician who joined them on stage for a set...He said she 'wasn't feelin it' tonight.
    At 30 bucks a ticket, alot of folks weren't feelin' her.