Message to bassists

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Currens1, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Currens1

Currens1

Oct 30, 2012
    Hi all,

While i'll direct my message to starting bassists, I guess it goes for all.

Watch the location / how the strap lies on the shoulder. I was practicing last night for a hour and my right shoulder muscle started bothering when I stopped playing. I noticed that the strap was folded over a bit which could of produced a pressure point while playing. It resembled the sort of a pain like there was a kink/stitch inside. It is gone now but I will take a break away from the routine for tonight.

Just wanted to raise some awareness that is all :)

Cheers :)

2. Currens1

Currens1

Oct 30, 2012
    If there's any weight-lifting fanatics out there, the exact muscle was the supraspinatus muscle. :) Now here's a question - how many muscles do you use playing bass? :)

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    at 48 years old and 35+ years of playing, I never once had this pain. Might be something about your strap. I like a strap that slides and doesn't grip on my shoulder. Yes it allows a bass with neck dive to drop but I don't bother with neck dive basses. I practice 2 hours minimum every day standing with the bass strapped on. The Grippy Leather straps are great to stop neck dive but they "pull" too much on your shoulder and shirt.

4. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Hmm. sounds like he had a slightly pinched nerver affecting his supraspinatus muscle. Man do I know about pain associated with wearing a bass.

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I like that car man!!!

6. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thank you sir.:)

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I have pain in my shoulder all day long, so playing bass only gets in line behind everything else I do all day. I think there's a pinched nerve. Been that way for decades. I just deal with it. (One of these days it will get bad enough to have something done about it, I reckon).