Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

messed up string spacing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Banquo, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Banquo

Banquo

Jan 30, 2006
    hello all i am new to the form, though i have been lurking for a while.

anyway, here is my problem. i recently bought a new bass that has the induvidual bridge for each string. the strings are evenly spaced except for the G, which is shifted farther out. is there any way to fix this? or do i need to instal a one peice bridge? its not a big problem just annoying sometimes.

thanks,
    daniel

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    What make of bass is it?

3. Banquo

Banquo

Jan 30, 2006
    schecter elite 4. the web site says its s-tek bridges.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I looked up the bass and while it's not exactly clear to see, it looks like each string has an individual bridge, similar to some Ibanez models. If that's the case, one of the bridges may have been installed slightly out of place and you may be able to move it to its correct position and solve the problem.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Do you have any pictures of the problem? Does the saddle appear to be properly placed, but the string is not properly spaced?

I'll share a little story - Shortly after getting my latest bass, I thought I had a problem with the string spacing on the G string just by looking at it relative to the other strings and at how it aligned over the fret board... I lived with it for weeks and would scratch my head and kick rocks over it every now and then... It turned out that the string actually was just simply not in the slot. :oops: Yes, I'm embarrassed to even tell that story. In my defense, this was right after the first time I changed strings and I was not yet familiar with the bridge, and the slots on this BA II are not very deep... but, that's all it was - So learn from my mistake and make sure that the string is seated in the slot.

6. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Where did you buy the bass? I'd make them replace it. Was this a 2nd or defective model? Some less than scrupulous online retailers will sell 2nds as new basses and not notify the buyer.

7. Banquo

Banquo

Jan 30, 2006
    ill try to get a picture. but no the induvidual bridge for the g string is not properly placed. i could try to remove and reposition it but the proper spot is only a few mm over and would be in the same screw hole onyl a little left. this would definatly cause a problem with the strength. the saddle is in the right spot but the bridge itself is not. i bought this bass used from a music go round shop.

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You could first mark the spot where your bridge should be mounted, then remove it, fill the screw holes with wood and glue and once it dries drill a new screw hole.

I've done that in the past when mounting non standard bass bridges. I first drilled out the screw holes that needed to be filled with an 1/8" drill, then filled the hole with a piece of 1/8" dowel and glue, then redrilled new holes.

It's easy enough to do, but to make the new hole precisely where you want it, first tap the exact spot with a small nail to prevent the drill bit from wandering. If it's a hard, thick, bulletproof type finish, don't tap too hard or you could chip a big chunk out.

9. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I saw a bass hanging in the local music shop the other day with one of those individual bridge posts crooked. It was clearly visible from a few feet away.

I would go with the solid one piece - seems more stable to me and would ensure proper spacing.

10. Banquo

Banquo

Jan 30, 2006
    thanks for the replys guys. i think im going to live with it untill i have enough for a slid bridge. thanks again

daniel