1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Metal Distortion Pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by elcamino72, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Whats a good distortion pedal for metal? i play alot of system of a down, slipknot, metallica, and black sabbath, (not to mention the metal i write) but my clean channel just isent grimy enough...... so any of you got suggestions for distortion pedals? i also wouldnet mind a fuzz pedal...

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    First three questions
    What dirts pedals have you tried?
    What type of distortion do you actually seek?
    And, What is the air seep velocity of a african swallow carrying a coconut?

3. Well....

ive tried the bad monkey over drive pedal... my cosuin bought it for me thinking i had a guitar so yeah.. thats gone...

I want just a light fuzz or a little heavier distortion

and... 5 newtons>:meh:

I would want somthing thats kinda cheap but quality.... made (prefeably) for metal playing..... im asking here cos my local guitar center barly has anything and i dont know where else to look...

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    The problem with most "metal" distortions are that they are made for "metal guitarist" and lack lows big time, which means you arn't going to be heavy.

Try these out

Electro-Harmonix Bass bigmuff - bass friendly heavy fuzz, Cliff used a bigmuff as did MANY bassist in the world of metal.
    Boss ODB-3 - grinding and thick, I had one for 5 years and it did the job but I never really liked the sound, but is was heavy and distorted.

5. Thank you:)

6. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    Colorsound Tonebender? Maybe a Blowtorch for a different flavour of fuzz?

I would personally just crank the hell out the mids, but I think I'm drifting away from distortions altogether. Personal taste I guess.

[Edit] Oh damn, didn't read the cheap part. Then I'd suggest the two that have already been mentioned (BBM and ODB-3). ODB-3 is an acquired taste, but if you just want it to bring out the clang of your bass it would well. Everyone should own a muff though at some point, it's practically the law.

[Edit 2] Are you sure an african swallow could carry a coconut? I mean maybe 2 strung together...

7. Yeah.... looking back im probly gonna go with the BBM over the boss distortion pedal... i dont really like too much punch in my bass... and the BBM reminds me of geezers solo in N.I.B.... and thats the distortion im looking for... thank you..... happy for the help

8. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    what are you playing through?

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The Boss HM-2 sounds pretty good on bass and can be found dirt cheap second hand. But then again I'm also a big fan of the Bad Monkey on bass too which you seem to dislike!

10. ^yeah... just too much for me..... its great for some songs but not really the distortion tone i need.....

11. A fender 100 watt rumble combo...

12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The digitech xbd bass overdrive/distortion pedal(a.k.a the digitech bass driver) is a pretty good choice for metal. I own the pedal and I really dig the sound.:cool: of course I play metal and I like to use heavy distortions too. another good choice would be a tech 21 xxl bass edition distortion pedal.

13. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    Sansamp Bass Driver for the grit. If you want fuzz, Big Muff. Either that or get a more powerful amp.

14. Im probly gonna go with the Big muff..... its just got a sound that reminds me of classic metal.... and i know with the right tone i can get it perfect for songs like The four horsmen and such..

15. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Good for you, muffs are great.

16. i know this is the effects forum but this should be your highest priority for metal

after that, try a Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition - you can get 'em pretty cheap

17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I assume you mean the NYC Big Muff, yes? Have you tried any of the other flavors?

18. Try the Tech 21 XXL Bass Edition.

EDIT: Oh wait, RCCollins beat me to it.

19. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    +alot