Metallica - Damage Inc. Intro.

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by x15, Feb 11, 2004.

1. x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    Some body be kind enough to tab out that long one minute damage inc. bass solo cliff burton does before the actual riffs kick in. its not available in the tabs, and all i can make out, is that there is a lot of sliding around.

there's also another solo out by burton, you can download it under the name of "cliff burton solo" or "cliff's last solo" and i can't find tabs for that either.

its all smooth.

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    could the other solo be Anesthesia or no.
  3. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I really don't know what Cliff is doing in that part, but I'm thinking it would sound pretty pathetic without a volume pedal and whatever else he uses.
  4. 1) volume pedal (most likely a morley one, like the big chrome pwb) + morley power wah boost (got one in the mail yesterday! :D )

2) lol...yes

Download powertab

Then download the Damace Inc. file, it's on there.

As for the vid clip your talking about, all I can tell you is that it's from the Cliff 'Em All vid

5. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    That's awesome to see Cliff in action- even if it is just a split second!
  6. Yeah if it werent for him, I would be lost in terms of bass playing. I wouldn't have anything to work for, goals, etc. I mean playing bass in a song isn't THAT hard, but soloing the way cliff did is something else. Let's see..I got his I just need his
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Pages 1 and 2...
  8. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003

That's cool gear, but it doesn't have the intro!
  9. I don't remember what Cliff did exactly (weaved through the progressions), but I know the chords. Two ways to play it:

A-2--2--2--2--- etc.

A-7--5--6---7------- etc. (btw, play as chords)
  10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Holy cripes! I never even thought about those swells and ****. I thought he wanted everything that came before the vocals (I guess those swells do come before the vocals).

It's a small HTML file I took off of Powertab, but I had to zip it to upload on this message board. Enjoy.
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    why does that thing say cliff is playing guitar III?
  13. Ignore it. If you had powertab you would understand.

I think Guitar 1 was Kirk, so naturally Guitar 1 would play the tablature for the guitar solo. Guitar 2 would then be James, so Guitar 2 would play all the rhythm parts. Then of course Guitar 3, bass.

Most of the time the person who creates the file makes the guitars sound different for their own parts.
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Pathetic without a volume pedal? I think that's the point... I mean, you use a volume pedal to achieve a specific sound... are you calling it pathetic because it isn't overly notey/well thought out? I'm blown away I don't know what's going on...

The intro though, I hear it's like 12 bass tracks thrown together. So unless you want to get together with 12 bass friends and you all have volume pedals...
  15. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I just looked at the PowerTab file, and it says he taps some of it... I would have never guessed it was tapping. But even with that tab I still can't seem to get it... weird. :meh:

16. Such a pant-wettingly awesome bass part from the Cliffster :smug:. If it helps here's an ectract from the following interview:

Q: On the new album I heard some short bass solo type thing where you're using volume pedals. What's that about?

CLIFF: On this album it's the intro to a song called "Damage," done all on bass. It's about eight or 12 tracks of bass, a lot of harmonies and volume swells and effects and stuff. I would hesitate to call it a bass solo, it's more just an intro, but it is all bass. There's also a little bass solo in "Orion," it's right next to a little guitar solo. No one will probably be able to tell that it's bass, but it is.
  17. seriousmorts

Nov 19, 2014
    Sorry - has anyone got the file the poster is referring to?
    I can't see any attachment.