1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Methods to increase tuner bore holes in headstock

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tom0Blam0, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I agree. Once I am back working again I want to get a SSB.

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    A custom counterbore/reamer like that is about $35, in case you are curious.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yeah, I know, that certainly will work if you are careful and reasonably experienced working with a drill press. But I really hesitate to recommend that here on a public forum post. We get readers of these threads who are complete novices, with marginal tools available. It would be so easy for someone to badly chew up their bass headstock, and then be mad at me for recommending it. I'm always careful when writing these "repair tips" to only recommend methods that are hard to screw up. And carefully explain the details.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I agree about the vast amount of novices. That is why I mentioned the specific tools I used so they would (hopefully) be able to decide if that is something they could tackle on their own, or not.

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I did it by hand by marking the larger diameter hole around the existing with a circle template, filing out to the line with a circular file, it worked, but it was excruciatingly slow so I didn't eff it up.