1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Miami Luthier

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by KMnOFour, Jun 2, 2012.

1. KMnOFour

KMnOFour

Jun 2, 2012
    Can anyone recommend a reputable luthier in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami, FL area? I'm about to move to the area in a few weeks and I don't know anyone that could point me in the right direction.

My bass is buzzing/rattling when I hit the A string and my teacher said that it was the bass bar that came a bit loose. When you reach inside the bass and press down on the bass bar and then strike the A string the rattling goes away.

Can anyone estimate about how much it would cost me to get a luthier to fix this?

:help:
    Thank you!

2. KMnOFour

KMnOFour

Jun 2, 2012
    FYI: I just did some searching online and some say that loose bass bars rarely make a buzzing sound and just because you clamp down on the bass bar and make the buzz go away doesn't mean it's the bass bar. Seems that the problem could likely come from elsewhere.

3. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    Sometimes it is just a seam separating. Take it to a luthier. Also never let a luthier screw the bass bar to the top, some luthiers do that as a quick remedy on inexpensive plywood basses!

4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I'd try Joe Reichgott in North Miami Beach. He did a solid repair on my bass and I've heard good things about him. He is also a professional bassist and instructor.

Here's his contact info:

(305) 651-8895
    divil1@aol.com

- Steve

5. ptuckerbass

ptuckerbass

Sep 12, 2000
    Orlando, Fl.
    Depending on what you need done, it may be worth going a little further north (Lake Worth) to Kaufman Daenzer. I had some work done when I lived down there and was very happy. He also worked on Jaco's basses.

http://www.kdiproductions.com/index.php