1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mic and DI?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by themacinator, Mar 2, 2013.

1. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    I run the sound in our band and have a lead guitarist who insists on mic'ing his amp. We used to run him direct and could control his sound so much better.

He is using a Mesa combo. What do you think about running a mic and a DI? Actually I was gonna run his mic cord but not patch it in!! LOL, then run the DI cord and use that.

The FOH is what matters right?

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    You can control it better via DI, but does it *sound* better? Do you not like the tone he's getting with the Mesa? Is his stage volume too loud? Address those problems at the source.

BTW, the player should be involved in these tone discussions and on-board with the final decisions. (IOW, *don't* put a placebo mic on the amp just to avoid having frank conversations w/ the guitarist.)

3. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Umm, yeah. It's a good thing he isn't listening to you... lol. You're the guy that gives bass players like me who DO know good guitar tone a bad wrap... ;) :p

The easiest thing to do is if he's mic'ing (and if he has a Mesa guitar ANYTHING, it needs to be mic'd, ), just turn the cab facing away from the stage, either to the sides or backwards. Or get him a stand to tilt it up towards him and not laser-beaming out to the audience.

Overdriven guitar, much like overdriven bass tone, does not sound very good via DI.

4. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Deception like that is never a good idea.

I would never run a DI on guitar; the amp is a huge part of most guitarists' sound.

5. Has anyone boxed in or covered a guitar amp on stage to lower on-stage volume?

I've seen and used a drum shield and I am wondering if the same concept can be used for a guitar amp?

So, mic the guitar amp and then cover it or wall it off.

Doable?

To the OP, I agree with the others - deception will only lead to drama. If you reverse the roles and he ran sound - how would you want to be treated?

If the issue is stage volume - then the real issue is your guitarist can't hear his amp well enough. Solve that problem first (tilted amp, personal monitor mix of his amp, etc) and then deal with his sound in the house system.

6. RS66LB

RS66LB

Dec 29, 2012
    Connecticut
    if his guitar tone sounds good comming from his amp/cab then perhaps a little experimentation with various mic angles might be a good idea -there can be a world of tone difference by simply moving a microphone a couple of inches across the face of a speaker. Perhaps recording 4 or 5 different mic placements to find what sounds the best and then using that information for a live show might not be such a bad idea.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just put a mic in front it. Sounds way better than any DI line.

8. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    +1000

9. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Maybe the Mesa has a cab sim on the DI???

10. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    Thanks for the replies. Previously he set up his own mic on his cab. His sound was thin and difficult to get in the FOH. This past weekend I did his mic placement. I made sure it was located over one of the drivers and very close to the grill.

It made all the difference. He chose to use his SM58 which I thought was a poor choice since he also has a 57 but I went along with it.

11. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    He wasn't even miking one of the drivers...? You guise have problems lol :p
    An inch or two away from the cab and a little off center is all you need. Dead-center makes it too high and shrill for my tastes.