Mic and string blender

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Harami, Jul 4, 2005.

1. I would like to combine a mic with my piezo pickup and got a sdsystems BS-2 string blender. I don´t want to buy the sd mic, as I already own a audiotechnica pro35x (gooseneck with a big XLR for phantom power). So here´s my question: Does anybody know how to wire an adaptor to fit this mic to the string blender (which has a peculiar plug, maybe taylored for their own mics) ?
    btw.: I mailed s.d.systems but they just didn´t answer
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Post a link to the SD Systems site which includes specs of the unit in question, and maybe someone will be able to help. There are two questions involved: the physical matching of the plugs from one type of connecter to another, and the question of impedance matching. More info is needed.
  3. Thank you I already mailed them...
    Concerning the plugs: the mic has a standard XLR used for mixerx with 9-48V phantom power - the string blender´s mic input is a stereo 1/4" jack labelled + (tip), Signal (sleeve), ground (shaft). Hope that helps.
  4. From the SD systems site. Spec of their mic intended for use with the string blender

SPECIFICATIONS LCM100 microphone
    Type:back electret condenser microphone.
    Polar pattern: cardiod-unidirectional.
    Frequency response: 20-20.000 Hz.
    Sensitivity at 1 kHz,: -66 dB,
    Output impedance: 200 ohm.
    Max.sound pressure level: 139 dB at 1% THD.
    Powering: 9 V battery.
    HL and BS-2 type preamps have line level output (for guitar amp).
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Something like This on the blender end should allow you to run a regular mic cable to your mic and get you in the ballpark. I can't speak for the impedance or phantom power matching, though.
  6. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You ought to be fine with an adapter. Does the string blender provide phantom power?
  7. Standard wiring for balanced mic signal XLR:
    Pin 1 - ground (cable shield)
    Pin 2 - Signal +
    Pin 3 - Signal -

And for balanced signal to 1/4":
    Tip - Signal +
    Sleeve - Signal -
    Shaft - ground

It's not obvious from the wording you gave whether it's a standard balanced connection.
    "+ (tip), Signal (sleeve)" could imply that it's an unbalanced connection with the power supply going to tip and the audio to the sleeve. But that would be very unusual. I'd try a standard adaptor cable - if you can't buy one, anyone with a soldering iron should be able tomake one.
  8. Hi, thanks very much for your comments. Since the string blender provides 9 V power to the mic (as in a portable dat or md, but not as phantom power, which should be "splitted" between the audio links, I fear that the connection is not standard. That´s exactly my problem (besides the point that sd didn´t answer). Has no one ever done this? Everyone uses the string blender with sd mics (if at all) ?
  9. Jonas J

Jonas J

Jul 2, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I have the whole kit with the piezo, mic and blender from SD-systems, but I only use the piezo and not the mic. The reason for this is twofold;

1. The main reason is because the blender distorts the signal audibly, making the setup sound nasal. I actually get a better, more natural sound using only the piezo (which is not a particularly hi-fi sound, I consider switching to something else).

2. Feedback from the microphone.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The ATM is a great mic. I actually just got the ATM35(little wider frequency response). I would recommend that you go with a blender more suited to it though. The K&K unit is an inexpensive blender that will do a good job. I think the SD equipment is very specialized for their own products. I could be wrong though....