1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mic Help: Shure SM58 - Low Output

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by awilkie84, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Hey,

I played a show on Saturday night and noticed that my mic level was quite a bit lower than it should be, especially compared to the 3 other vocal mics in my group.
    I use an SM-58 and was getting maybe half the volume of the other SM-58s used.

Settings on the board were tinkered with, channels changed, etc. Changed mics out to a backup 58 and BAM...twice as loud.

What can I look for as far as repairing my existing SM-58?? Is there anything that can be done? I don't have the cash to replace it right now.

2. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    I'd check if one of the hot/cold leads (there are two "active" +/-, normal/inverted signals and ground from a balanced source) is broken. Most likely near the connector itself.
    [​IMG]
    If you have a cable checker (something like this) you could easily find out.

3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I was just looking at Shure's website to figure out how much it would cost to repair my Beta 58. Looks like it's around $65 with tax, not counting the price of shipping it to them. They charge a flat fee for each product. If it's under 2 years old and you have the receipt, it's free.

4. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I sent my 20 year old beta 58 in to Shure last year. For the $65 fee I received a brand new one. I thought it was a heck of a deal.

47th Street likes this.
  5. I bought mine second hand from Long & McQuade. It was a previous rental unit. Served me very well. For $65 US + Shipping, though, that's almost at the price of a new 58 in Canadian funds.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    What could go wrong, the mic capsule? the transformer? solder joints? connecting wires.
    A quick reflow of the solder joints might just fix it up.
    Looks like Sure doesn't even do that - just replace it.
    These mics have actually changed through out the years, they only look the same.

47th Street likes this.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If you are handy, they detail various repairs here: Shure SM58 Repair

You would have to examine it to see if anything looks amiss. I would start by removing the screen. It could be very dusty. Examine the capsule for contamination. If necessary clean with a soft brush. A clean makeup or lens brush works.

Next look at the XLR pins at the other end. Look for oxidation. Try cleaning with a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol (pharmacy) or failing that, vodka. The best oxidation cleaner is Deoxit.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021