Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mic the tweeter?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bennito, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I just got the Phish IT DVD and it looks like Mike Gordon has his tweeter mic'd. Is this common practice in studio as well? Do you guys mic your tweeter when recording? If so, what mic?

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I have mic'd the tweeter in the past. It was not the only signal though. Combined it with a DI signal. All sorts of techniques get used, I would be very suprised if that mic was the only thing on the bass.

3. Bennito

Bennito

Sep 12, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    No, he also had the bottom left speaker of his 410 mic'd, and I know he uses a DI signal as well with a countryman.

I was just curious, though, if mic'ing the tweeter as an additional signal is common in a studio setting.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Every engineer does things different, some times the high end on a bass is important to a particular town, don't think I'll ever need mic the tweeter on my cab.